Dog Vomitting and Itching

danielle2003

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
Langley, Oklahoma
I know this is a chicken forum, but since there is a category for pets and other livestock, I thought I could post this here:
My Chihuahua is 6 years old, and she started out having really itchy skin. I read that I could give her benadryl, as it could help with irritated skin, so I gave her the liquid kind. But now, she has a rash on her belly. Her skin feels hot to the touch. She has also been throwing up yellow bile (she can't keep any food or water down, so that's all that is coming up). I tried giving her some boiled rice and chicken broth, but she threw that up too. I looked up these symptoms, and quite a few articles said it is an allergic reaction to benadryl. Does anyone have any advice? Is there any way I can counteract the allergic reaction with home remedies? I feel so bad for her! Taking her to a vet is SO expensive, and I would like to try any natural at-home remedies first. Thank you!

If the problem is just a reaction to the benedryl you will know soon enough. Time should take care of it. If symptoms persist she should see a doctor.

I had a Great Pyrenees whose allergies resulted in really itchy skin. There are some more natural commercial remedies out there and I tried a few. But I eventually took her to a vet who gave her Apoquel. not inexpensive but the natural stuff wasn't working for her.

My bigger concern right now would be the vomiting since she can dehydrate quickly. Keep us posted, please.

I know this is a chicken forum, but since there is a category for pets and other livestock, I thought I could post this here:
My Chihuahua is 6 years old, and she started out having really itchy skin. I read that I could give her benadryl, as it could help with irritated skin, so I gave her the liquid kind. But now, she has a rash on her belly. Her skin feels hot to the touch. She has also been throwing up yellow bile (she can't keep any food or water down, so that's all that is coming up). I tried giving her some boiled rice and chicken broth, but she threw that up too. I looked up these symptoms, and quite a few articles said it is an allergic reaction to benadryl. Does anyone have any advice? Is there any way I can counteract the allergic reaction with home remedies? I feel so bad for her! Taking her to a vet is SO expensive, and I would like to try any natural at-home remedies first. Thank you!
Has she been in contact with poisonous plants maybe? Or was she bitten /stung by some venomous animal/insect?

Not that I know of. But because we have been getting a lot of rain lately, there have been a lot of snails coming out. I think she has been eating them. Are they poisonous?
As a German, I am not familiar with the kind of snails you find in Arizona, but I suppose that depending on what they previously ingested (poisonous plants or excrements from poisonous animals etc.) they might very well be.

How is she doing today? If she has not improved, you might want to consider a vet visit before this gets out of hand.

Though you don't want to take your dog to a vet, I would recommend you do so. Her cause from vomiting could be from eating the snails, pancreatitis, kidney failure, parasites, heart disease, etc. She needs bloodwork and radiographs to see what is going on.

As a German, I am not familiar with the kind of snails you find in Arizona, but I suppose that depending on what they previously ingested (poisonous plants or excrements from poisonous animals etc.) they might very well be.

How is she doing today? If she has not improved, you might want to consider a vet visit before this gets out of hand.
She is doing much better! Thank you for asking. She stopped throwing up, and her rash has gone away! I have also been keeping a close eye on her when she is outside, to make sure she doesn't eat anymore. Thank you for getting back with me! No more escargot on her menu!:D

She is doing much better! Thank you for asking. She stopped throwing up, and her rash has gone away! I have also been keeping a close eye on her when she is outside, to make sure she doesn't eat anymore. Thank you for getting back with me! No more escargot on her menu!:D
:yesss:Wonderful news, thank you for letting us know!

Back
Top Bottom