1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog with bladder infection??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by farmerlor, Dec 9, 2010.

1. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a new dog. She's a cute little girl part chihauhau part Beagle, seems very bright and very spoiled, one year old. Problem is she acts like she has a bladder infection and in all my years with dogs I've never in my life had a dog with a bladder infection. Can dogs get them? She seems to want to go to the bathroom every hour except at night when she lets me sleep about three hours. When she goes she goes a bit the first time and then just a drop or two three or four more times and seems to squat there for a long time trying to get it out. She also has trouble holding it. We were driving today and she asked to go out and of course we couldn't just stop that minute and she peed on the seat. So, if this is indeed a bladder infection is this a 'go to the vet' problem or is there something I can do about it at home? Thanks everyone.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yes, dogs can get UTI's.. Sounds a lot like it. I'd bring her in to the vets just to be safe.

3. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Dogs do get UTI's and there are many other reasons for incontinence. You should take her to the vet.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Sometimes females can have incontinence problems because of spaying too...

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Yes UTI's are pretty common, she needs to see the vet.

6. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, we took Ollie to the vet and it was indeed a bladder infection. In the meantime she's also developed a little pain in her back which I attributed to the infection as well but the vet tells us that it's probably an inflamed disc and that she's actually closer to five years old than 1 which I had suspected from the condition of her teeth but that's okay we adore her and we're taking care of her various problems.
    Thank you everyone for your helpful information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by