Dog with Chickens?

welcome-byc.gif

There are some great discussions on dogs and chickens here. If you type "train dog", for example, into the search bar you'll pull up quite a few of them and you'll get lots of tips there. Here's one to get you started:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/829562/training-teaching-a-dog-about-chickens/0_30

Start here and be consistent in your training and vigilance.

Thank you! The black australorp is definitely on my list! In my searches I have noticed a lot of confusion over ameraucana vs. easter eggers. It seems many people don't know there is a difference. If I order one from a hatchery will I have a decent chance at getting an Ameraucana? I guess I will be ok with an easter egger though, especially if I get either blue or blue/green eggs. I noticed an order form for tractor supply co that has the black australorp, ameraucana, and silver laced Wyandotte. I just want 4 chickens, so I don't want to pay the $50+ for small orders from big companies. The barnevelder also caught my attention, but was not on the tractor supply co list, so I may go with 2 ameraucanas. If they aren't true ameraucanas I may have a better shot at colored eggs.So many options for selecting breeds and breeder, and hatcheries, and...
th.gif

Depends on the hatchery. I think there might be one or two that sell Ameraucana but MOST will NOT be Ameraucana even if they have them listed. If they have BOTH Ameraucana AND Easter Eggers (don't know if any do) it would be a fair bet that they are true Ameraucana. I got my birds from Ideal Poultry in Texas. I asked the question in an email, it didn't matter to me but I was curious. The reply was that there is no Easter Egger breed (which is true) and they are Ameraucana. WRONG WRONG WRONG. They don't match any Ameraucana color so they are NOT Ameraucana.

I'll pay for your Ameraucanas if Tractor Supply is selling REAL Ameraucana
wink.png
Given how many birds they sell around the country and how many Ameraucana are actually being bred, I am quite confident my wallet will stay closed.

Then there is the question of sexing. I don't know what TS claims nor how accurate they are but most of the hatcheries claim a 90% success rate. I got lucky, all 12 were girls. Of course statistics says someone else that got a dozen ended up with 2 cockerels. So be prepared. Unless you buy sex linked chicks, you will not know what gender you have and will be posting pictures in the "what sex is my chicken" threads fretting until they mature. I speak from experience
smile.png

You can change your profile to say where you live (as detailed or not as you like) so people can answer questions without having to ask. For instance, a guy posted his mostly built coop and asked for constructive criticism (and listened!!!). Someone asked where he was located and made another suggestion based on that. The suggestion would have been made by the earliest responders if his location had been in his profile.

Bruce

Depends on the hatchery. I think there might be one or two that sell Ameraucana but MOST will NOT be Ameraucana even if they have them listed. If they have BOTH Ameraucana AND Easter Eggers (don't know if any do) it would be a fair bet that they are true Ameraucana. I got my birds from Ideal Poultry in Texas. I asked the question in an email, it didn't matter to me but I was curious. The reply was that there is no Easter Egger breed (which is true) and they are Ameraucana. WRONG WRONG WRONG. They don't match any Ameraucana color so they are NOT Ameraucana.

I'll pay for your Ameraucanas if Tractor Supply is selling REAL Ameraucana
wink.png
Given how many birds they sell around the country and how many Ameraucana are actually being bred, I am quite confident my wallet will stay closed.

Then there is the question of sexing. I don't know what TS claims nor how accurate they are but most of the hatcheries claim a 90% success rate. I got lucky, all 12 were girls. Of course statistics says someone else that got a dozen ended up with 2 cockerels. So be prepared. Unless you buy sex linked chicks, you will not know what gender you have and will be posting pictures in the "what sex is my chicken" threads fretting until they mature. I speak from experience
smile.png

You can change your profile to say where you live (as detailed or not as you like) so people can answer questions without having to ask. For instance, a guy posted his mostly built coop and asked for constructive criticism (and listened!!!). Someone asked where he was located and made another suggestion based on that. The suggestion would have been made by the earliest responders if his location had been in his profile.

Bruce

I found a place within driving distance (well, under 2 hours anyway). They have the double laced barnevelders, both easter eggers and Ameraucanas, and other rare breeds like the Isbar and Cream Legbar. http://www.chickenfanatics.com

They do have a nice selection of some uncommon breeds, lucky that you are within driving distance.

Back
Top Bottom