dog won't stop licking his feet

does he lick his feet year round or is it seasonal? Some dogs are sensitive to certain grass pollens.

he stared to lick his feet whan he was on a diet dog food and now he just lick them for fun

it is possible he got into the habit of licking his feet. I wouldn't say he does it for fun, but it could be a complusive behavior.

I would try the bitter apple spray or the boots. I think the spray would work best because it would turn the licking into a negative experience. If he's just doing it out of habit, hopefully you can break the cycle. Meanwhile try giving him a bone or kong stuffed with frozen peanut butter at night, the time he usually licks his feet, to help distract him from his feet.

Post again if it doesn't work or the habit comes back, because he actually might have a current allergy.​

Quote:
it is possible he got into the habit of licking his feet. I wouldn't say he does it for fun, but it could be a complusive behavior.

I would try the bitter apple spray or the boots. I think the spray would work best because it would turn the licking into a negative experience. If he's just doing it out of habit, hopefully you can break the cycle. Meanwhile try giving him a bone or kong stuffed with frozen peanut butter at night, the time he usually licks his feet, to help distract him from his feet.

Post again if it doesn't work or the habit comes back, because he actually might have a current allergy.

That's a good point, glowworm, sometimes they do develop compulsive behavior like that. BTW, I love that you listed your hometown as "SacraTomato" - brings back memories from when I lived back there....*chuckling*

Sounds like there was something in the diet food that he was allergic too, but it has now progressed to a compulsive behavior. You can try the booties or bitter apple, also redirect the behavior as indicated before into something else he can lick at. You might end up at the vet for some OCD medications.

It may have become a compulsive behavior. My grandmothers border collie has been licking her front legs to the point of missing hair and irritated skin. She gives her medication for her nervous behavior.

#1 All Systems, and other companies I am sure, make a Tea Tree Oil spray that has an ingredient added that tastes AWFUL! The tes tree oil heals and it is anti-fungal, antiseptic and antibacterial and the “AWFUL” keeps them from licking until it heals. lol
You will still want to look at trying another food as it does sound like either food or grass allergies.
You could try finding it at
http://www.showdogstore.com also I think Cherrybrook carries it on line.
This stuff really really works. I have used it for 15 years on dogs and us!

This stuff really really works. I have used it for 15 years on dogs and us!

Our black Lab also licks her feet and we took her to the vet and he found she had yeast in between her toes and he prescribed this liquid...cannot read the lable now....we had to dilute it and clean inbetween her toes 3 times a day....she has whopping BIG feet!!.....It's become a habit now....I would take a Q tip and check and wipe around in between the toes and if it smells yeasty ...it could be that....I also started giving her organic plain yogurt and "TRYING" to keep her feet dry whenever she comes in the house ....good luck

I agree - food allergy - put him on something that is just lamb and rice for best results and try and distract him with love and play...

my 11 yr old greyhound/collie mix does it. for him its seasonal, september/october is the worst for it. he gets a cortisone shot to help but he's still doing it this year.
sad.png

hope you get it figured out.

I would think food allergy. Sometimes dipping the feet in a mix of 1 part cider vinegar to 3 parts.warm water helps. Then dry them off.

Back
Top Bottom