Dogs and chickens

https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-big-d...wtJRpQXPJ5sxl7DOGrRYlxoCbEbw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

BTW this is the collar I ordered upon recommendation from dog trainer at pet store I frequent. Unfortunately she couldn't offer advice on livestock aggression.

Do the zapping before dog actually launches attack. Once dog commits it takes a lot of zapping that is more likely to confuse dog than get it to back of. I would zap when dog focus on birds. Even that will frustrate dog.

If you shock a pitbull after he attacks the chicken it will only piss him off. He will think the chicken did it to him. I know this from experience. At that point If its not strong enough to knock him out you are wasting your time. A dog that will chew through a fence to kill a chicken will not be stopped by a shock collar once he starts the attack.

I don't like Petsafe collars. The stim is really harsh and the step up between levels is high. I prefer Dogtra or Ecollar Technologies collars. Better quality and more levels that allow for a smoother "dial up" of the stim.

The Petsafe will *probably* be fine for what you will be doing since crittering typically involves a more aversive component to the training than typical remote collar training does.

Practice with the remote before you put it on the dog. Make sure you can increase and decrease the levels smoothly and without even looking at the remote before you begin with the dog. You are going to want to keep your eyes on the dog so you can time the stim precisely with the behavior and you don't want to be fumbling with buttons.

After reading through article I see that I may be able to dual purpose this training. Both leash training and not killing chicken training.She is a really good dog otherwise, I just get the impression that she was owned by folks that had no idea what to do with a pit and allowed her to do a whatever she pleased until it got too much for them.

@ eggbert you are furthering breed stereotype, if you read my earlier post I have a pit mix that is normally my flock protector. Some dogs can not be trusted with a flock of hens, but I do not advocate shocking them unconscious. I remember my grandma saying how she fed cyanide to one of my papp's bird dogs because it kept killing chickens. Times have changed, and I have a bird hunting dog that protects my flock.

After reading through article I see that I may be able to dual purpose this training. Both leash training and not killing chicken training.She is a really good dog otherwise, I just get the impression that she was owned by folks that had no idea what to do with a pit and allowed her to do a whatever she pleased until it got too much for them.

If you truly think you will use the collar for obedience training on and off leash, I would consider checking out a different brand. The Ecollar Technologies Mini Educator or the Dogtra 280C are good collars for most moderate to high drive dogs.

Talk, been reading through article you posted and have learned much. I kinda went off recommendation of local trainer, and my wallet. I will try a sequence of beep warning followed by low stim and see how it works.

I'm kinda an *** about my dogs, I do not approve of them "running the roost". This one has put my training experience to the test... I will do some reading on the collars you suggested, for now I will use what I can afford and what is coming in the mail but I will surely consider upgrading.

@ eggbert you are furthering breed stereotype, if you read my earlier post I have a pit mix that is normally my flock protector. Some dogs can not be trusted with a flock of hens, but I do not advocate shocking them unconscious. I remember my grandma saying how she fed cyanide to one of my papp's bird dogs because it kept killing chickens. Times have changed, and I have a bird hunting dog that protects my flock.

I'm only talking from my experience my dogs were full blooded bred for hunting hogs. The only way to get them to release a hog or another dog was to put a stick in their mouth and pry it open. I guess there's a difference between a pit bull and a pet bull. I would never try to further the stereotype of the breed. My Dad has raised bulldogs for 45 years. They are the most loyal dogs I've ever been around. They are also the most stubborn. Let me know in a few months if your dog stops killing chickens.

I'm kinda an *** about my dogs, I do not approve of them "running the roost". This one has put my training experience to the test... I will do some reading on the collars you suggested, for now I will use what I can afford and what is coming in the mail but I will surely consider upgrading.
Maybe its time to get rid of the dog, its great you rescued it but it is not working out, your rescue has now caused the death of two of your chickens, is the dogs life more important? I would say that a harmonious pack/flock is more important than any individual.

Good luck

Gary

Back
Top Bottom