Dogs and chickens

Sep 15, 2021
Iowa
Hey guys it's me again lol. So I got a rescue dogs that was not treated well that we accidentally got out and ate my chicken.....about 2 months ago and hasn't had contact with chickens since that.....so o started chicken training about 3 days ago....and am wondering if you trained her and were very comfortable down the road would you let her interact with them when you weren't there? Looking for advice thanks.....I have another dog that is a saint bernard and wouldn't hurt a fly and loves chickems they take naps together so cute.....wish they could all do this

My dog has spent her whole life aware and interacting supervised with chickens. But they don't like her and she gets excited around spooking chickens and young birds, so I still would never let her outside unsupervised

I know for mine, though she hasn't attempted to harm any chicken of ours that she is still an animal that deep down has the urge to hunt and nature can always overrule any "training". I wouldn't trust mine unsupervised but that is just me.
It also depends on the breed. A Doberman will have a higher prey drive than a Pyrenees, a little dog can't do a ton of damage but a big dog could accidentally step on them. There's a ton of factors that go into mixing dogs and livestock but I do agree that prey drive is a powerful thing and every dog makes mistakes no matter how much training it has.

It also depends on the breed. A Doberman will have a higher prey drive than a Pyrenees, a little dog can't do a ton of damage but a big dog could accidentally step on them. There's a ton of factors that go into mixing dogs and livestock but I do agree that prey drive is a powerful thing and every dog makes mistakes no matter how much training it has.
Little dogs can still do an absolute ton of damage. We had a yorkie wipe out our duck flock and half our neighbors chicken flock about 5 years ago

Little dogs can still do an absolute ton of damage. We had a yorkie wipe out our duck flock and half our neighbors chicken flock about 5 years ago
They definitely can. Every dog has teeth after all, but I was thinking in terms of the chicken's fighting them off. The neighbors Terrier mix got into my yard and my rooster and a broody hen would've killed it if I hadn't stopped them.

Once a chicken eater, always a chicken eater. But, do what you feel comfortable with.

Aaron
I feel the same way but she is reacting positively and she has yet to do it a again I made a big deal the first time and I think it put her in her place.....in a week I have to sit inside and watch she howled she reacts with me there but not.....love all the advice

Back
Top Bottom