Dogs and chickens

It also depends on the breed. A Doberman will have a higher prey drive than a Pyrenees, a little dog can't do a ton of damage but a big dog could accidentally step on them. There's a ton of factors that go into mixing dogs and livestock but I do agree that prey drive is a powerful thing and every dog makes mistakes no matter how much training it has.
Well ilwhen we got her they said she was a st berdoodle......but I lean closer to pointer poodle mix......real sweet dog....just isnt sure about alot.....before I got her she was beat alot so she scared of the world I honestly a bird puffed up and she went for it

Well ilwhen we got her they said she was a st berdoodle......but I lean closer to pointer poodle mix......real sweet dog....just isnt sure about alot.....before I got her she was beat alot so she scared of the world I honestly a bird puffed up and she went for it
Totally understandable! It sounds like you've made a ton of progress with training and pointers and poodles both have a really strong prey drive. I think it'll be fine if you keep at it. I'm glad she's in a better situation now.

Chicken A La Poodlle 'N Noodle. Makes a great dish if worse come to worse !

Dog may behave when you are there but the real test will be, what will it do when an immediate ass beating is NOT standing there with it? Be careful either way, hate to see more dead chickens.

Aaron

It has to do with their energy level and prey drive. I rehab dogs for rescues. If they are generally low energy, you might be able to train them. Honestly, most large guardian dogs are not considered safe till they have passed at least 6 mos of daily training and supervised daily with loose poultry. Usually you can call it correctly. I have a Border Collie, Lab and Irish Wolfhound that are all fine with poultry. I wouldn't trust the Rat terrier if she was bored. Some breeds are known for being chicken killers, Huskies are one of them.

We have a border collie mix and my dog is half Australian shepherd, half American Eskimo- they did not grow up around chickens, but they got used to them and have never killed one. If your dog listens to you and you can monitor it out with the chickens until it understands they're off limits, I think it should be fine. Can't seem to break the collie of running the calves, though. It's actually annoying my bouncy little shepherd won't help me drive them into their coop at night. I always ask her what is the point of being a herder that won't herd, but she just wags her tail like she has no idea what I'm saying....

Back
Top Bottom