dogs and ducks

will a labadoole and 3 ducks get a long
big_smile.png
Yes, you'd have to train. The labs and Poodles are both hunting dogs. So it would be easyier to get ducklings. My Dog is an actual hunting dog, and he doesn't go after my chickens, Im not allowing him to get near my ducks, Cuz I can't say no if he goes after them (as he's doing his job). But he's a good Guard dog.

Well it really depends I have a lab mix and he loves my ducks and my ducks love him. i started to train him by having supervised visits with all of them together. At first he thought the ducks would be fun to chase but once he got trained with treats to sit and stay over time he began to just ignore them. Now we can let them all out in the backyard unsupervised. I wouldn't leave them unsupervised right away u should do supervised visits and training. here is a video of how my dog a duck interact now..
0.jpg

I would be interested in what tips you have. I have a year and a half old walker fox/spaniel mix who is a gentle delight. She behaved really well with a 7 week old pug so seems to be good with small fragile animals. Curious but not aggressive and yields to the animals vigor. She also is very respectful of animal body language (especially cats). But she is a dog and has dog instincts. My 5 little ducklings will be arriving in a month and living inside a one room studio with us until they can be moved to their permanent home. I definitely want to keep everyone safe and not take any reckless chances. I do hope a friendship will develop between them.

i have 5 dogs and i frequently let my duck inside and he lays right on the dog bed beside them
love.gif
but you have to train your dog to know that the duck is part of your family also and isnt a toy for them to play with, they used to stare at him and drool when he was younger like he was a walking chicken nugget, but with time they have come to accept him

Honestly, even with rigorous training, it's never a guarantee that your dog won't kill one day. Both Labradors and poodles have been bred to hunt ducks. Their instinct is to chase and capture birds.

Not saying you shouldn't try, but I'm always for erring on the side of caution and never letting them around one another unsupervised.

Back
Top Bottom