Dogs and Roosters

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
I'm noticing a couple interesting patterns in the interactions between my dogs and some of the roosters. Two dogs are free-range all the time and three others are rotated in terms of when they are out at night, and when not out at night they are allowed to run for a couple hours each day. There are three cockerels in full adult feather that free-range as well as several more that are penned.

Yesterday, two of the free-range roosters started fighting so Honey, one of the full-time on the loose dogs began following them around for hours getting on top of the birds everytime that started making sustained contact. That would break them up and they would move a bit before trying to resume. Honey was effectively pushing the battle all over the yard making so they could not really do each other harm. Honey has gotten better, in the past she would up and kill one and the fighting would stop.

The other deal involves one of the penned roosters and the dogs that are rotated. The rooster is a new one that just came out of quarantine. The rotated dogs want to harass him but not the other penned birds or the chickens that are free-range. The dogs are treating that one rooster differently.

Well, dogs are pack animals and likely recognize that the new rooster is an outsider? That or they recognize an issue with him - watch for signs of illness?

We had to rehome a dog because he would try to break up “fights” between my kids when they would wrestle. We couldnt train him that it was just playing and NOT his job even if it were a real fight 🤷‍♀️😬

I'm noticing a couple interesting patterns in the interactions between my dogs and some of the roosters. Two dogs are free-range all the time and three others are rotated in terms of when they are out at night, and when not out at night they are allowed to run for a couple hours each day. There are three cockerels in full adult feather that free-range as well as several more that are penned.

Yesterday, two of the free-range roosters started fighting so Honey, one of the full-time on the loose dogs began following them around for hours getting on top of the birds everytime that started making sustained contact. That would break them up and they would move a bit before trying to resume. Honey was effectively pushing the battle all over the yard making so they could not really do each other harm. Honey has gotten better, in the past she would up and kill one and the fighting would stop.

The other deal involves one of the penned roosters and the dogs that are rotated. The rooster is a new one that just came out of quarantine. The rotated dogs want to harass him but not the other penned birds or the chickens that are free-range. The dogs are treating that one rooster differently.
We had a dog in Catalonia who would get stressed when the roosters fought and would whine until the roosters stopped, or I arrived and split them up. He never interfered in the fights. He just circled around them whining. I don't know if he behaved like this because he had seen me break up rooster fights or it was something he made a judgement on.

Back
Top Bottom