dogs .... dumb question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mistylady, Sep 1, 2008.

1. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    We have a pair of Norwegian Elkhounds. They're both AKC registered and we intend to raise some pups but now is not a good time for that. The female is coming into heat and the male has become .... interested is a good way to put it. So I put him in a kennel away from her. Now they are barking to each other. They've been barking for over two hours now. He yips and she barks. They're driving me nuts. I'm sure the neighbors can hear them and they don't live close. Elkhounds love the sound of their own voice! Will they shut up before midnight? Is there some kind of garment or chastity belt I can put on the gal? Any advice would be apreciated!

2. tpflabs

tpflabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Metamora, Illinois
    oh dear, I do feel that you are in for a long 3 weeks..
    Is there somewhere you can put one of them that is out of earshot of the other? I have a small barn outside that my male goes to, when the girls are in, LOCKED up inside a kennel in the basement..
    they do sell pants for girls in heat..but that isn't going to keep him quiet!!

3. purplebaby

purplebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    i agree... you are going to have to put them where they cannot see/hear each other. maybe a crate in the basement? Especially at night. is the girl "safe" from other male dogs that will smell her from a distance? otherwise you will be having problems.

4. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    There's such a thing as dog pants for grump in heat but I don't think it masks the smell entirely. When one shows up at one of our training classes, we are all informed in advance even though she wears pants. If anyone objects to her presence, she is not allowed in class.

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I think you are doing about the only practical thing now, keeping them away from each other. Even if they couldnt see one another, I am not real sure that would even help much.

6. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Quote:These are strictly for keeping a mess off of the floors and furniture. They in no way would keep dogs from breeding. Keep them separated with at least 2 barriers between them or more. I had a dog jump a gate (never done previously) and then breed a female who was in her crate. You can put a dab on vicks on the male's nose, that will help cover her scent so he won't be so anxious.

7. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    You can also ask your vet for something mild to calm your male. If he gets to excited it can be harmful to him. Not real sure how to explain this family friendly, but, here goes.... His stuff can back into his bladder and cause a bladder infection. This bladder infection can be very harmful if it causes thickening in the lining of his bladder. We use the meds on my engies when we have someone in. They do not otherwise sleep for days at a time.

8. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    As someone who has bred Dobies for years, I can practically promise you that your male will NOT shut up for the next 3 weeks. Mine will cry until they get so hoarse that no sound will come out. But if you touch their throats, you can feel the vibration of them still TRYING. I keep males and females at opposite ends of the house with at least 2 strong doors between them, use odor-killing sprays, play music, and they STILL cry. The girls just settle in and go to sleep, though. My best stud has a favorite female and when she is in, he won't eat either. Meds only make him more anxious instead of helping. Some dogs just don't react well to them.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  9. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I would ask a friend to doggie sit and send the boy on over there... out of smell range is the only thing that'll help this

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Makes me glad mine are both fixed, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by