Dogs Eating Chicken Poop

berryncherry

Crowing
Aug 4, 2020
CA
Hello all,
I have always been wanting to train my dogs near chickens. This post is mainly about one of my dogs, Auggie. He is a border collie, so he is generally fine around chickens. He doesn’t’t feel the urge to eat them, but is sometimes afraid of them. The biggest problem would be that he does love to eat chicken poop. I know that dogs naturally would want to do this, but have any of you owning dogs out there found a way to prevent this?
Any suggestions would be appreciated as well!

Dogs are gross. No real way around it. Mine eat chicken poop, deer poop, rabbit poop, fox poop, pine marten poop, and sometimes even their own poop. Im sure they'd eat horse and cow poop if they had the chance. There is no face licking around this house.

You could try an electronic collar, but keeping them away from it is your best bet.

I understand, but I want to train my dog to herd the chickens, kind of like a livestock dog.
I wouldn't do that at all. Herding dogs are known to nip anyways. A chicken is far too fragile for that. Why do you want to heard chickens anyways? If the issue is trying to get them to go where you want them, training them to come for treats is the best way. I just yell "CHICKENS" and they come running for the treats. I use this to get them into, or out of my garden, or even into the coop.

We kept our Doberman separate from chickens for the first year until one day she dug under the fence, much to my horror; thankfully the only thing she was interested in was the scraps I had thrown in for the chickens. The dog ignored them entirely. Gradually we started letting her around the chickens, supervised, and they coexisted for another two years before she passed. However, one time my friendliest chicken pecked at the dog, likely out of curiosity. The dog startled and bit her. Thankfully the hen only lost a few feathers, but it could have been much, much worse. I don't care how well trained a dog is, there is always a risk to allowing dogs in with chickens. Always.

I understand, but I want to train my dog to herd the chickens, kind of like a livestock dog.
Be careful with that. Many herding dogs become hurting dogs when around small animals. They are bred to herd sheep and cattle and often times do so by nipping heels. Nipped chickens don't do so well. Other times, their prey drive kicks in and they see an interactive squeaky toy.

I wouldn't do that at all. Herding dogs are known to nip anyways. A chicken is far too fragile for that. Why do you want to heard chickens anyways? If the issue is trying to get them to go where you want them, training them to come for treats is the best way. I just yell "CHICKENS" and they come running for the treats. I use this to get them into, or out of my garden, or even into the coop.
Be careful with that. Many herding dogs become hurting dogs when around small animals. They are bred to herd sheep and cattle and often times do so by nipping heels. Nipped chickens don't do so well. Other times, their prey drive kicks in and they see an interactive squeaky toy.
Thanks for your advice, I will probably consider letting him herd goats instead then. I wouldn't want any of my chickens getting injured.

Thanks for your advice, I will probably consider letting him herd goats instead then. I wouldn't want any of my chickens getting injured.
Goats are a much better choice. For one, they will keep your dog on its toes, which helps with both mental and physical exercise. That is important with the more intelligent breeds like border collies. Also, they are bigger and will handle the occasional oops that could kill a chicken.

I have GSDs. I keep them as far away from the chickens as possible.

Back
Top Bottom