Dogs!! Help!

I dumbfounded that you're looking for a fix and your German Shepards are in the house. Really. The one I had his most fun time when I said, get im Barron. He lived for that signal. I'd say let your dogs out and problem solved. Unless you haven't trained them, then you do have a problem and a lot of work to do.

Nothing makes me angier than roaming dogs. We live in the country and peoples attitute around here is to let their dogs run free and not a care what in the world what their dogs are doing. I worry that these dogs may turn on people. They almost always show up in packs. I have noticed that wildlife predators take a bird here and there, but dogs drop a chicken and go for the next, not stopping until every last bird has been killed, and leaving the bodies to waste, usually all in one killing session. I'm upset when I lose a bird to wildlife, but I hold no animosity towards the wildlife. They kill to eat. Dogs however kill for sport, and that really chaps my hide. After losing my entire flock multiple times, I'd had enough. We called the county sherrif who said we had the right to protect our livestock and advised us to shoot to kill. I did not want to kill the dogs. I just wanted the owners to take responsibility. The killings continued. So my two sons followed the dogs, at a safe distance, and so discovered their homes. I visited each house until I caught the owners at home, presented them with a bill for $50 for each chicken lost, and told them if I saw their dog(s) in my yard again I would either shoot to kill or trap and surrender to the pound. I never have been paid for any bill, but neither have the dogs returned. But the attitute is still prevalent, just let the dogs run, they're in the country after all! We still have and always will have dogs trying to get our chickens because people just don't seem to care. I suggest if you have the constitution, shoot to kill, otherwise trap and surrender to the pound. The owners will have to pay to get their dogs back. The financial cost ususally gets their attention. But also set up an electric fence to deter future attacks. You never know when someone will move into the area, or (sadly) someone will do a drive by and leave their unwanted dog "in the country".

Well first off my dogs are in the house and always in their fenced yard so letting them out to patrol the chicken coop is not going to work. Secondly I do not want them in a dog fight so I can pay for vet bills incase they get injuried. I know there are many people who may not having a problem with killing a dog....but I do! The other problem with killing the dogs is where I live dogs are a dime a dozen and chances are they would just go get another dog to replace the one that didn't come home. So my best bet right now is to secure my coop the best I can which is what I was asking suggestions for. I don't see the problem being fixed by killing the dogs....because there are bound to be more in the future. Until people have some respect for others and love their pets enough to keep them fenced I am going to have to Fort Knoxx my coop! LOL

I think it's a combination of things, really. Though I do have very good pens and predator proof coops and the property is perimeter fenced, dogs can still get in. One climbed the livestock fence once. So, even if you have what you think is Fort Knox, you still may be faced with a dog on a killing rampage one day and have to decide what action to take. Please do not put yourself in danger by trying to grab a collar!

Nobody "wants" to kill a dog. But sometimes it has to be done. A predator is a predator whether it's a dog, bobcat, coyote, or racoon.

Holy cow, I don't just go around shooting everything I see. But even then, what do you have dogs for? Do they have a purpose? I don't know if you've every seen a GS fight but chances are very good you won't be getting your dogs hurt. That is unless you've got um to sissyfied. I sure would hate to see you in need of a protection dog and end up with dogs that has no clue what to do.

I guess we all have different reasons for dogs. I just don't keep um for being buddies.

Quote:
This is probably your easiest answer. It's not expensive to do and it's very, very effective. You can't always be on watch for dogs or other predators and there will always be another one. People are always going to be ignorant and let their dogs run or there will be strays/dumped dogs.

And I agree that letting your GS's go after stray dogs is not a good idea either. Who needs more vet bill's to get them stitched up after a fight? Or they may run off to the next county chasing a stray, it's just not worth it.

I would still be all about tracking down dogs owner's when possible but otherwise a good electric fence work's very nicely.

Quote:
my dogs are here for protection for my family. But, I'm not going to risk them going out to protect some chickens against stray dogs with god only knows what disease. rabies, maybe? It doesn't matter how a GSD fights, every breed of dog has teeth and knows how to fight. And a stray dog that has to fight every day just to stay alive and eat is going to be a lot more knowledgeable than ANY housedog or farm dog.

I've had dogs kill my sheep, goats, chickens, and even my cats and I was still reluctant to kill them. Then one day a stray attacked me and I was fortunate that day I was wearing a sidearm. That was the final straw. Now any dog and I mean any, attacks my livestock, myself or a family member is a dead dog! It will not be tolerated. If the owners want them, they'd better take care of them and all of my neighbors knows this.
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom