Dogs Killing My Chickens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandoMan

Songster
May 30, 2011
Prewitt, NM USA
Hey I been having problems with a neighbors dogs that keep coming and killing my chickens. I have lost 3 chicks and my best hen from them. They keep coming back. I started out chasing them away when I see them but that didnt work they returned. I gave warning shots with my shotgun in the air to scare them away. Did that twice and still they returned. My brother inlaw was here while I was away and he shot at them and of course he cant shoot worth crap and missed but it scared them away but they return still. I am fed up. I didnt think I could shoot a dog untill today when the dogs returned and was stalking my chickens again so I got my 12 guage and number 7 birdshot and popped one into the dogs side. He went running home yipping all the way. I just hope it gets it through its head not to comeback. His little buddy got lucky since I didnt shoot at him cause he took off with the other one and figured he got the picture. Owner of dogs knows it kills my chickens cause when it killed my big hen he and a buddy were walkning on our property looking at the scattered feathers. Then tied up his dogs for a hour and then let them off again and his dogs went after more chickens and thats when my bro inlaw shot at them. I swear people dont know how to take care of there animals around here. they dont feed them or do anything with them. the same people dont feed there horses either and just let them roam and there horses get into our hay. I live on the rez so calling animal control is useless.. 3 animal control officers for the whole nation. Indian Police dont respond even if ur dying. awesome place. If animals could eat beer cans/bottles they would be pretty fat. any suggestions on getting these dogs to get it through there heads and stay away. it like im looking out my window every 5 minutes to check on my livestock. affraid to leave home cause im not there to watch for them.

If I were you I'd put a bullet in that dog's head. Sorry, I love animals, but I love my chickens and I've lost one to a neighbour's dog and I'm still mad about it.
As you said, the neighbours are not bothered, the police are not bothered... You are either going to run out of options or chickens.

The one you shot might get the message. Has it been back? I would shoot every one of them with bird shot like you did. If they come back after that I would switch to Double 00 buckshot. They won't come back after that.

shooting with birdshot is a good way to get your neighbors to call the cops on YOU. shoot it dead and call the police or animal control to report that you dispatched a dog that was attacking livestock.

If your neighbors will not care for their dogs, I suspect that means no vets. If you shoot a dog with bird shot, it is going to suffer for a very long time.

It would be much more humane to shoot the dog dead.

I agree shoot it dead. I love animals as well but people not being responsible for their animals makes it dangerous for everyone and you have your own priorites. I hate epople who can't control their animals! It makes me soooo mad!!
somad.gif

New Mexico law says I can shoot a dog that is attacking or in persuit of livestock. Its unlawful to own a dog that has attacked or is known to attack livestock. Also says when a dog attacks livestock the owner of the dog must euthenize or have someone else euthenize the dog. I have to shoot it on my property. I cant go on theres and shoot it on theres. Theres paw prents all around my pen plus two other people where with me when I shot them so if the owners called the cops on me 1 cops probably wouldnt even show up cause there useless and 2 the cops couldnt do **** because I broke no laws and owners are financially responsible for reimbursement of killed animals. Im not worried about police doing anything. I have more probability of those idiot getting drunk and pulling a gun on me but they know I can shoot much better than them and my guns are bigger. lol.

The three "S"'s...shoot, shovel, and shut up.

If we had killed the two pit bulls that were attacking my chickens, they (plus another one) wouldn't have been around to attack me and my dog, Conner, a month later. The three pit bulls came into my fenced yard and attacked my Lab, Conner. My husband did shoot two of them then, and one got away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom