Dogs that kill weasels but not chickens?

Pics
It’s the small gaps in the doors I am trying to figure out? Maybe an extra layer of hardware cloth that folds back and forth to cover door after I close it? I’m not sure yet.
That will probably not work against a mink, unless you secure it somehow when it is in the closed position.

Having hardware cloth overlap the door would make something like this, that the mink already proved it can go through:
The mink...went through the top of the run where the hardware cloth joined together. Like it over lapped. I can barely get my fingers in there and he slipped right out.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else that would work either, apart from a tight-fitting door. The kind of door used as the front door of a human house might be mink-proof, but it doesn't seem like the right thing to use on a chicken run!

That will probably not work against a mink, unless you secure it somehow when it is in the closed position.

Having hardware cloth overlap the door would make something like this, that the mink already proved it can go through:

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else that would work either, apart from a tight-fitting door. The kind of door used as the front door of a human house might be mink-proof, but it doesn't seem like the right thing to use on a chicken run!
I was thinking the same. A house door might work if a frame is built. Not sure if one could be made though. I may need to change the run completely.

They were free ranging the first night, when the weasel killed three of them. Tore sweet Chick Fillet to bits. Took the head off one of the others. Disemboweled a third, dragged her gizzard across the yard.

If course I thought it was a raccoon. The kennel cage would have helped if it had been a raccoon.

But it wasn't.
I'm sorry for your loss! I lost 2 hens last week shortly after letting them out late in the day.I never found any corpses but whatever it was got tangled up in my electric fence wire that was dangling on the fence( I'm stringing fence wire for an electric fence) It yanked the driveway marker I hung the wire on completely out of the ground .It wouldn't have been so lucky had the fence been powered on

Our border collie killed a rat that went in the coop. That was the stupidest rat though and came from the neighbor farmer's place. We never had one before or since.

Our Border collie, Corgi and three cats keep the riff-raff out of our place and would never touch a chicken.

My cat caught a weasel. Well he just cornered it and waited until I arrived so I could dispatch it. He kept it cornered for at least one hour. He would kill and eat anything except my birds (parakeets and canaries back then). My parakeet would ride his back and bite his ears and he would tolerate. He was a good cat. No cat in the world would ever be as good as him.
As for dogs, female Rottweilers can be very protective of your flock and if they're well trained they'll get rid of weasels, foxes and even robbers.

Back
Top Bottom