Dom, barred, or Plymouth?

This is a different look. I built this using plans recommended from this site. I know that doesn’t always mean it’s the right way to go. Just saw good reviews on it.
1. Gorgeous cat
2. That would probably work for a pair of bantams. You could pretty easily expand the run, though. MyPetChicken has a set of run building plans of different sizes. Those are good.

This is a different look. I built this using plans recommended from this site. I know that doesn’t always mean it’s the right way to go. Just saw good reviews on it.
It's adorable! :love
But its too small for 5 chickens. Also, having 3-4 hens to one rooster is hard on the hens.
People who design coops don't have chickens, they're trying to sell a product, so they make them cute, not practical.
If you doubled the length of the run, you could get away with 5 chickens.

Last edited:
If you're moving the coop to fresh grass, and your girls aren't picking on each other, I think your coop is fine. In general more room is better, though. I really wouldn't consider getting another hen with what you have. In an ideal world you want 10sq feet of run space per chicken, so 40 sq feet for the chickens you have. Your coop looks very cute!

Do you have a pic of all four of the chickens in question? I only see one rooster based on what you showed. You definitely have barred rocks. They are great chickens!
I’m at work, so those are the only pics I have for now. I have 3 that are barred rock and one is a silver lace. I had her before I bought the trio.

It's adorable! :love
But its too small for 5 chickens. Also, having 3-4 hens to one rooster is hard on the hens.
People who design coops don't have chickens, they're trying to sell a product, so they make them cute, not practical.
If you doubled the length of the run, you could get away with 5 chickens.
Well, I was going for
Cute - for my wife’s liking
Easy - for my kid’s learning
Smaller - so I could move it easily.

Back
Top Bottom