Domesticated candian geese?

UM....Why?????
I raised an orphaned injured one many years ago. Nasty bugger!!!! Pooped constantly, Bit me all the time. As soon as she was well and could fly she flew off with a flock. Thank goodness. I've known a few people that have had them but you have to keep there wings clipped or they will join a passing flock ASAP.
Maybe another BYC'er has had a better experience with them.

You need to get eggs or geese from a breeder with a Federal permit. Check eggbid or ebay in early spring.

Taken them from the wild here in Ohio or any state. May get you some jail time,at least a fine thats a federal law.

You will need a permit,to have them.

Check with your state ag. dept. I believe you are required to have a permit to raise them.

I know in the late 70's and 80's when I was growing up (in Georgia!
smile.png
)there was a huge move to create a resident goose population. Most of the canadian geese you find in Ga are not migratory birds but are resident birds.

Other than auction sites I know that Metzer farms has the Maxima strain, Duane Urch has some easterns I think. Check GBWF.org forum forsale section I see canadas and cacklers there alot. Oh also Chenoa Waterfowl/Maurice Field has a few strains.

Four times a year in north central missouri there is an exotic animal sale in macon, Missouri by Lolli Brothers. There is also a swap meet for fowl, rabbits and pot bellied pigs. On Thursday they auction the birds not sold at the swap. I have often seen Canada geese.As a matter of fact I got my two pair from their. They are legal if they come from a domesticated flock and have their wings penioned (sp).

Canadian Geese make great pets. Ours seem less aggressive than our domestic geese. The only time of year that our Canadian geese show any aggression is during breeding season when they are defending their nest / territory.

You are probably required to have a state permit to keep them. It is illegal to take them for the wild, but you can purchase them from another breeder that has a FEDERAL
MIGRATORY BIRD WATERFOWL SALE AND DISPOSAL PERMIT.

The birds are REQUIRED to be permanently marked in one of the FOUR OPTIONS offered by the federal regulations by 6 weeks of age:

(a) Removal of the hind toe from the right foot.
(b) Pinioning of a wing by removing the metacarpal bones of one wing or a portion of the metacarpal bones
thereby rendering the bird permanently incapable of flight.
(c) Banding of one metatarsus with a seamless metal band.
(d) Tattooing a readily discernible number or letter or combination thereof on the web of one foot.

You should be able to keep & breed Canadian Geese or any other native Migratory birds (like Wood Ducks and a lot more) with just a state permit. But you can not sell or transfer any to another person without the federal permit. Nor can you buy them from anyone without the federal permit!

We pinion all our wild types of geese- so that they can be kept in larger open pastures where they can graze as opposed to smaller covered pens so they do not fly away. We raise the Giant Canadians, Regular non specific Canadians, and Cacklers.

geeseyoungmudpuddle.jpg

Here one small group of our geese playing in a mudpuddle this summer. There is young Africans, Roman Tufted, Canadians and some Egyptian geese in the upper left corner.

Randy www.spectrumranch.net

Randy since you know of all these things I have a question for you. On my cacklers if I want to remove the hind toe do I just do it with a pair of nail clippers at hatching or is there a better way?

Back
Top Bottom