Domesticated Geese (and duck) Found. Now what?

TwoWhiskers

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
I work at a resort in Florida and last week 2 geese and a white duck showed up. They are not afraid of people at all and let me hand feed them. I've figured out that one is a Chinese and the other is a Greylag. Now the Greylag will let me pet her and will lightly nip at me, rub her head on my legs and climb onto my lap. I'm taking it that these were someone's pets but I can't figure out where they came from. I've never seen them fly, the three just waddle along together. They've picked a favorite spot now and never leave it. I've been feeding them bread but I don't know what they're supposed to be eating. Any insights?

Hello.

First of all, the "greylag" is probably not a greylag. Greylag are a wild species living in Europe. You probably have a Toulouse goose or something similiar. It doesn't really matter, though, so onto to what to do...

Someone must have dumped them here. It's sadly common. Try and find a waterfowl rescue in the area.

If you want to feed them, buy some cracked corn. Pellets would be better/healthier, but only in small quantities, or they will mold and become dangerous. Plus cracked corn is easier to find in small quantities. Please stop with the bread. It will fill them up but give them no nutrition and is even bad for them. It can get stuck in their systems and they won't be able to pass it.

There are some people on this board who have rescued ducks and geese. Hopefully they will see this and respond with more advice.

I work at a resort in Florida and last week 2 geese and a white duck showed up. They are not afraid of people at all and let me hand feed them. I've figured out that one is a Chinese and the other is a Greylag. Now the Greylag will let me pet her and will lightly nip at me, rub her head on my legs and climb onto my lap. I'm taking it that these were someone's pets but I can't figure out where they came from. I've never seen them fly, the three just waddle along together. They've picked a favorite spot now and never leave it. I've been feeding them bread but I don't know what they're supposed to be eating. Any insights?
Have they found a nice patch of grass? If so, they just need some water and actually whole corn is better than cracked. They´ll probably love it, but don´t need a lot. the grass is much better for them.

Quote:
Sorry, I did not know. Not to hijack the thread but can you (Livinginbrazil) tell me why whole corn is better? My feedstore sells whole corn but I always get cracked. I thought whole would be too big for them to swallow? Thanks in advance, and I hope the duck and geese get good homes.

Back
Top Bottom