Dominant 22 wk old Pullet now sleepy/lethargic

x2
The next step in this process would be to take a fecal sample to a vet and have them take a look at it under a microscope and check for cocci and worm oocysts. Any vet can do it and shouldnt cost much. It's normal for a few cocci to be seen on the microscopic slide, however if the slide is loaded with cocci, the bird will require amprolium treatment.
X3 and add a gram stain of the fecal material to check for infection.

-Kathy

Well, living up to her name, Lucky bird seems better this morning. Thunderstorms and raining cats & dogs here today so I'll keep her in until at least tomorrow.

Kathy - WOW! Ummm, VERY informative, Thank you! If I need to tube feed her for a bit I will, but wouldn't and will contact YOU for sure! Thankfully, she seems to be improving for now.

I tried to get her interested in the food & water, but nothing. Grabbed some kale from the fridge and THAT got her attention. Hand fed her some, she gobbled it down! I'll She even took a couple bites of crumbles & a couple sips of fresh water. Will repeat shortly...Repeat w/ a leftover waffle from breakfast...Liked THAT enough to look for more! She has made a little depression in the pine chips to sleep in. It seems that she is having a problem with her left eye in particular. Keeps it mostly closed. Depth perception off. Didn't see any signs of injury/trauma, but it is slightly droopy when opened.

There has only been three - four poops so far, in the crate for 22 hours now. I may be able to take those samples to our regular vet Monday. If she keels over I will get a necropsy & let y'all know.

If/When I take her back out to the rest of the flock do I need to do anything special? Is it like bringing in a new bird or will they all remember each other & welcome her back, sort of?

Correction....If I need to tube feed her for a bit I will, but wouldn't want to long term. If necessary will contact YOU for sure!
It is so easy to do and if she's going to live you wouldn't have to do it for longer than a week would be my guess.

-Kathy

Tubing can also be a diagnostic tool. Food in, poop out, lol. Once the digestive systems is working you should have normal colored poops. If not, you can look at them and try to diagnose what might be ailing them. Make sense?

-Kathy

smile.png
Today Lucky seems to be back to her normal vim & vigor.
idunno.gif

Thank you so much all for your attention and advices!

Her left eye is improved - keeping it open, but still looks slightly droopy. She is clucking and has been eating kale, cilantro & waffles, has eaten a little of the new feed. She is scratching around looking for other tidbits, passing enormous solid green & white poops - I assume from all the consumed greens.

Do I need to do anything special to reintegrate her in the flock? Or if they are out free ranging, can I just toss her back in with the lot?

THX!

Back
Top Bottom