dominant white question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gallorojo, Nov 1, 2011.

1. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    Ok, let's say I cross a dom. white bird with a black bird. All the chicks would end up white with black flecks/spots, right? That's my basic understanding.

So-would the same thing happen if you crossed dom. white with a birchen based bird? I'm thinking yes? Dom white birds would typically be some sort of black/barred/birchen under the white, plus silver.

What I am getting at, and, what I really want to know, is this. If I get birds that are white with black flecks, can I be confident that they are some sort of black under het. dom white? I understand they could be split between black and something recessive to black. If the het. dom. white is wheaten/partridge/wildtype under the white, I'd have a pyle, right? So, can I use the spotted white birds to indicate that the bird is "black" under the white?
    Ultimately, if I cross a spotted white chick back to black, I should get some percentage of blacks, right? ?

2. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Yes, if the bird is blue underneath the white, the flecks would be blue. Ditto chocolate.

3. gallorojo

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    Ok, thanks, just looking someone to confirm my reasoning. [​IMG]

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:that is correct, but some may be totaly white, I have had that experience also. some of the chicks could have flecks on their down.
    [​IMG]

Quote:if the Dominant white bird is based on Extended Black then most bird will look all white with some black flecks, BUT if the bird is based on E^R like white leghorns are and if your birchen bird is based on gold you will see some ground color leakage(red/golden Pigment showing thru)

below birds are gold based birchen x production type leghorn
    [​IMG]

Quote:production type leghorns are(they also carry Blue) but I donĀ“t know what breed are you talking about here.

Quote:correct.

Quote:say if you start with a complete white bird, chances are that you have a white bird based on Extended Black which is dominat to every other "e" allele. what this means? if you breed that solid white bird to a "wheaten/partridge/wildtype" the chicks from that mating will grow to be solid white birds with some black/blue flecks and they will not show any "wheaten/partridge/wildtype" phenotype whatsoever, but it will be there, just not showing.

Quote:Not if the white bird is Solid white and based on extended black.

Quote:yes.. 50% should be black

here is screen shot of Mr. Henk Calculator
    [​IMG]

Chicken Calculator link
    http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

5. gallorojo

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    Thanks, nica. Appreciate your responses. [​IMG]

I'm having trouble explaining what my goal is, so, maybe this time? I hatched lots of chicks from white parents this spring. Most were pure white, but, some were wheaten or birchen variations, some were pyle variations, and some were spotted white. My thought is that the spotted whites if bred together, or bred with a black or birchen bird, would give me some black or birchen chicks. Pulling black or birchen out of the white is my goal, and I was looking for a way to judge the correct breeding birds. I got it now.

I just wanted to make sure my reasoning is not faulty here. Thanks again for the confirmation.

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:that is a correct acorrect assessment, if the spotted whites are solid in nature(solid whites with spots) and they have good type, then cross them together and if you hatch enough numbers you will end up with nice blacks...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by