Dominiques,Delawares

MagsC

Queen Of Clueless
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
Minnesota
Next spring a friend of mine has offered to give me some Dominique and Delaware eggs. I know virtually nothing about either of those breeds!
I can search or google it but I would really like individual opinions/experiences and pics if possible.
Thanks!
smile.png

I love my Delawares. Mine are friendly and as well as smart. I did a tremendous amount of research and my birds lived up to my expectations. Mine are hatchery stock and still they are super. My first plans were to use them strictly as utility birds to cross with my dark cornish for meat. I will still use them them in the crosses; however, I plan on improving my stock.
JMO
Brad

I cannot tell you anything about Delawares but I can tell you that I love my Dominique. She is sweet, funny, a character and very quiet.

I received several Delawares with my order from Cackle. I just love them! They are friendly, outgoing, not too skittish and love sitting in your lap.

The very first chick to jump in my hand was a Delaware. We still call her Happy.

Don't know about their egg laying yet--still too young.
Becky

Both of those varieties are good birds for backyard uses.

Just a word of warning.....

Since both of those varieties are white birds... you'll have to watch closer for hawks and other preditors. White birds stand out against the ground, and preditors will go after a white chicken faster that they will a colored chicken.

I've had to postpone getting any delewares here, because we have hawks overhead frequently. Once I can build a fully enclosed and roofed run for them they'll be alright. I'm NOT feeding my chickens to the entire wildlife population.

The one white hen I do have stays undercover most of the day (bushes, under the neighbors mobile home, or in the coop). Our chickens free-range during the day, and get locked up at night.

Kathy

Thank you! I dont plan on getting them from her until spring since she wont have any eggs until then, so I have plenty of time to research!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom