Domnijoe Pets and Art - The Birds

My parents really liked the painting of the Quail :) Not that they've never actually hated anything, but they were happy to have art from me, LOL! My next project might be a chicken. I've never actually tried a Seabright (Those are a breed, correct?). People love their chickens here on the BYC, so I thought I'd give a hen a try!

The quail should be getting their new enclosure this week. Pretty stoked to build it, now that the Dremel's arrived :D . It'll be used to drill holes in the plastic, as doing it by hand is a PITA with the hand drill.

Also waiting on a bunch of other items - 2 horizontal waterers, a roll of plumber's tape, a HUGE package of pine shavings... and a partridge in a pear tree. I hope the new enclosure controls smell better, especially with the pine shavings and horizontal waters. Might have to get a better quail feeder as the one I made for the girls just gets kicked around.

I'm hoping Tsunami, my conure hen, laid another egg. Not that I'll complain if there's only 2 babies. I'll have to pick up some baby formula for the chicks when they arrive. There's a huge bag at Petsmart that I intend on getting. Then I have to disinfect everything for hand feeding! Yeep! Then I plan on pulling the babies at 18 days. It's a lot of work, but so, so worth it :) Quail are much less work, unless you factor in the incubator. :)

You can use my Sebright hen for reference! They are supposed to have a rose comb though.
20211209_160816.jpg
20211209_160531~2.jpg

My Sterilite Tub's not arrived yet and should have been here yesterday. Turns out it's stuck in transit with Fedex. Ah well. I thought I missed a delivery, but no. Just slow. :) I guess the quail are gonna have to wait a bit longer for their new enclosure!

I've put off painting for a few days. I should really do a new one, but I've been indifferent about actually getting off my keister and doing it. Part of it is because of my meds. They kill any creative spark I have in me. If I wasn't on them, I'd be doing a painting a day! But I need my meds. Otherwise I live in a mental hell. It's a crap shoot either way.

Some sad news from the studio. Lock, one of my Coturnix quail hens, passed this evening from possible wasting. She was weak, couldn't stand and was kicking out in her attempts to get up. She wasn't eating and drinking, even when I offered her some. I was going to cull her tomorrow if she didn't pass. Thankfully she did.

The good news is that we're still at five eggs. Mom is sitting hard, though she takes breaks regularly. I lose one, I gain several, if everything goes according to plan :)

Back
Top Bottom