Domnijoe Pets and Art - The Birds

Not this batch. I really should have, but this is a new pair. Male's never bred before. I didn't want to stress them out by me being too nosey, though a voice in my head says I check the box so often that I might as well move my bed into the nest box, LOL!

If there's no chick by tomorrow, I'll candle them.
Ah ok. It might be worth doing just to know what to expect, but I don't want you to disturb them too much either. Maybe if you notice they're not in there try to do it quick. It just takes a second.

I strongly suspect I have 2 hens in the nest box. Still no chicks and a ton of eggs. Which means I can 1) not worry about hand feeding and 2) start my quail incubation project shortly! :) But until then, I have to make sure the conures are okay. Weeeee!!!!

I managed to check three eggs yesterday before momma conure threw a fit. Turns out those three were duds. Going to try again today to candle them and see if there's any viable eggs. If not, I've got two hens.

... And if there's duds, I'm going to move onto my next project and try a quail egg experiment. I'm planning on incubating 7-10 quail eggs bought from the local store and see if it works for me. I'll be surprised if any even hatch. Just curious to see if it'll work here in Manitoba!

Did a brief check of the conure eggs this morning and indeed I have duds. Now I have to wait 4 weeks for the hens to lose interest in their clutch before I remove the eggs. No babies :( Bummer.

Starting to look fo quail egg suppliers/grocery stores here in the city. DYING to try out the supermarket egg experiment :)

Did a brief check of the conure eggs this morning and indeed I have duds. Now I have to wait 4 weeks for the hens to lose interest in their clutch before I remove the eggs. No babies :( Bummer.

Starting to look fo quail egg suppliers/grocery stores here in the city. DYING to try out the supermarket egg experiment :)
That's too bad

The girls hanging out.
Stock and barrel 2.jpeg
Stock and Barrel.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom