Don’t know what’s wrong! Help!!!!

Icunurse27

Hatching
Nov 29, 2020
Hello. My chicken is a little over a yr old and today started breathing weird, like almost a choking appearance. She’s lethargic, breathes with her mouth open and won’t eat or drink. She also has diarrhea. I don’t know what’s wrong!! I have vetrx drops I’ve been giving her but I don’t know what else to do! Please help. Thank you.
AE3B60E3-8B92-41E0-8E23-821587998E4B.jpeg

@Icunurse27 How is your chicken doing?

I have the exact same issue happening with one of my silkie chickens that’s about 7 months old. I felt her crop this morning and it had gone down a bit from the day before. I’ve isolated her from the rest of the chickens but I’m not sure what to do next. @nuthatched Did you have some recommendations?

@Icunurse27 How is your chicken doing?

I have the exact same issue happening with one of my silkie chickens that’s about 7 months old. I felt her crop this morning and it had gone down a bit from the day before. I’ve isolated her from the rest of the chickens but I’m not sure what to do next. @nuthatched Did you have some recommendations?
I'm inclined to think it's a crop issue but I can't give any good advice from the information given.

The vetrx drops worked wonders and my chicken is walking and eating again! I'm going to keep an eye on her but it's still a mystery.

Have you tried looking in her mouth to make sure there’s no obstructions in her trachea or esophagus? How old is she? Does she currently lay eggs? If so, when did she last lay an egg?

There are many different causes to what could be wrong with your hen, including—
  • Egg bound
  • Egg Yolk Peritonitis (EYP)
  • A respiratory infection
  • Fowl Cholera
  • An obstruction in her throat
  • Wet Fowl Pox
  • Aspergillosis
Firstly, I’d start off by looking into her mouth for anything weird or abnormal and if there’s nothing, I’d check her vent and backside for any stuck or broken egg pieces. If there still isn’t any answers, you can treat her for a respiratory infection with antibiotics.

Update: she passed away that same night. I think she and her fellow chickens got into a fight that morning and she must have suffered a lung issue (we heard chickens fighting/being attacked but we thought it was our neighbors chickens). This would explain her demise. We’re very sad. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Update: she passed away that same night. I think she and her fellow chickens got into a fight that morning and she must have suffered a lung issue (we heard chickens fighting/being attacked but we thought it was our neighbors chickens). This would explain her demise. We’re very sad. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Sorry for your loss.

Hello. My chicken is a little over a yr old and today started breathing weird, like almost a choking appearance. She’s lethargic, breathes with her mouth open and won’t eat or drink. She also has diarrhea. I don’t know what’s wrong!! I have vetrx drops I’ve been giving her but I don’t know what else to do! Please help. Thank you.View attachment 3064758
Is it hot where you live? Could be heatstroke. Will she eat or drink?

Back
Top Bottom