Don’t lay

Silkiechicken66

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2016
So I have a little flock of coturnix. 3 females to a male. They are 15 weeks old. They get quail feed. Offer oyster shells weekly.

Haven’t gotten a single egg from them. Is there something I’m doing wrong? Their enclosure isn’t cramped, it’s 5x5. Proper feed. Help appreciated!

:frow i agree with chickencanoe but i want to add that if things are changing in their setup then that will keep them from laying too. When i first began i was pulling everyone from each cage to hose it out each wk and they didnt start laying til i laid off. Could also be getting harrased by any kind of critter thru the wire and stressing them out, keeping them from laying. Coturnix are sort of touchy but oh so worth it once your past the learning curve :love best of luck!

:frow i agree with chickencanoe but i want to add that if things are changing in their setup then that will keep them from laying too. When i first began i was pulling everyone from each cage to hose it out each wk and they didnt start laying til i laid off. Could also be getting harrased by any kind of critter thru the wire and stressing them out, keeping them from laying. Coturnix are sort of touchy but oh so worth it once your past the learning curve :love best of luck!
Patience patience patience.:pop
Thank you! I can’t remember any changes in the last few weeks, but doesn’t mean I knew about any.

Just going to wait it out and see how it goes!

I agree on the light though my female is laying eggs without extra light. Sun comes out 6.30am and sets 8pm.
I would absolutely agree on stress. Depending on the color (my experience) they could be very very very sensitive. For example, if I introduce or remove a bird to the flock, the other females stop laying eggs. Also, once I moved the cage to a different place - no egg. My two dogs fought ones next to the cage - no egg. and so on. Shortly - eliminate stress. Mine started laying days 49-52

Point of lay should be around 15 weeks give it more time sure it’ll happen
Are you talking about Coturnix? In our country Coturnix start laying eggs at day 42-45 (Manchurians), which is week 6. The other colors start a bit late, but the latest so far has been day 52 which is 7.5 weeks. This is everywhere here.. Maybe in the USA is different.

Back
Top Bottom