Donkey advice please

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I am considering adopting a donkey from a rescue place. He seems very gentle and laid back. He would be a companion animal with horses. He is currently hanging out with horses at the rescue place. I do have a farrier that does other donkeys. I realize that they can be stubborn but I am used to that attitude with my pony. He would be pastured with the horses. What do I need to ask about him? What feed would he require? What have I not thought of? Any advice would be appreciated before I make a decision.

Donkeys are actually not always stubborn, despite the stereotypes. They do tend to be a lot more laid back than horses or ponies. Not as flighty or skittish.

Unless he has special dietary or medical requirements, pasture and hay should suffice. I presume you already have an equire vet if you have a pony/horses. If you haven't already, talk to the rescue about his current diet needs, if any, and anything else special about his care.

You should also be aware that donkeys will often have a "bff" in the herd/pace. Moving him to a new place with new animals will take some adjustment and could be emotionally difficult if there is another animal at the rescue he already has a strong bond with.

Thanks for the advice. He is currently with two mini-horses who are bonded to each other. He will be coming to a situation where we currently have 5 horses which are pastured as 2 horses together, and the other 3 together but of these 3, 2 are about to leave. I am hoping, with the right introductions the horse who will be alone and the donkey could become each others bond.
I do have an equine vet that I know also deals with donkeys and mules.
I did discuss his current health. He has been vet checked and is healthy. Also discussed diet. He is currently pastured without supplemental food. Rescue told me that his dietary needs are different from horses and he does not need anything else while good grass available, and hay during other times. It would be the same situation at my place.
I read that donkeys need coats more than horses and ponies. We blanket ours if it is cold and rainy, or cold and damp snow. I am also in Eastern Ontario so MACCanadianCoop knows my weather. Do you blanket yours? Sure hope I could find another one a cute as the one on my pony in my avatar.

Thanks for the advice. He is currently with two mini-horses who are bonded to each other. He will be coming to a situation where we currently have 5 horses which are pastured as 2 horses together, and the other 3 together but of these 3, 2 are about to leave. I am hoping, with the right introductions the horse who will be alone and the donkey could become each others bond.
I do have an equine vet that I know also deals with donkeys and mules.
I did discuss his current health. He has been vet checked and is healthy. Also discussed diet. He is currently pastured without supplemental food. Rescue told me that his dietary needs are different from horses and he does not need anything else while good grass available, and hay during other times. It would be the same situation at my place.
I read that donkeys need coats more than horses and ponies. We blanket ours if it is cold and rainy, or cold and damp snow. I am also in Eastern Ontario so MACCanadianCoop knows my weather. Do you blanket yours? Sure hope I could find another one a cute as the one on my pony in my avatar.
Some of the donkeys were blanketed through winter/spring. I don't have as much experience with horses, so I can't say how they compare.

Back
Top Bottom