Dog trainer/leash issues

cassie

Free Ranging
15 Years
Mar 19, 2009
I am looking for advice from a dog trainer. I am considering adopting a small dog. I am told he has a severe leash phobia. Obviously, he has to get over this and be leash trained. I am not sure how to proceed. I was thinking about snapping a leash on his harness and letting him drag it around and then go from there. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Usually when a dog has leash phobia, it’s because whoever handled them before hand didn’t properly train them on the leash. it’s important for a dog to know that whoever is on the other end of that leash is the one that’s going to protect them from harm, if they don’t feel like they are protected from harm on a leash Even you wouldn’t want to be on the end of one of those. It’s going to be a struggle, but the best thing that you can do is to get the right leash for this dog and be a strong and protective person for this animal that means you positive reinforce the entire time they’re on the leash you might want to take some classes on how to leash train. But if the dog feels like you were going to protect it while it’s on the leash by doing things like not allowing other dogs to approach animal while they’re on the leash, not allowing other people to just approach while they’re on the leash and to just let them know that they are safe while they are on the leash it sounds to me like it’s probably anxiety. I also HIGHLY recommend a slip leash with a prong color or sinch collar .

Dragging a light line 'might' work... but you really have to see the dog in person first.

I think a lot of people give dogs too much 'consolation' or even praise when the dog is scared... But there is no way of knowing til you actually see how the dog responds in a leashed situation.

Last edited:
Usually when a dog has leash phobia, it’s because whoever handled them before hand didn’t properly train them on the leash. it’s important for a dog to know that whoever is on the other end of that leash is the one that’s going to protect them from harm, if they don’t feel like they are protected from harm on a leash Even you wouldn’t want to be on the end of one of those. It’s going to be a struggle, but the best thing that you can do is to get the right leash for this dog and be a strong and protective person for this animal that means you positive reinforce the entire time they’re on the leash you might want to take some classes on how to leash train. But if the dog feels like you were going to protect it while it’s on the leash by doing things like not allowing other dogs to approach animal while they’re on the leash, not allowing other people to just approach while they’re on the leash and to just let them know that they are safe while they are on the leash it sounds to me like it’s probably anxiety. I also HIGHLY recommend a slip leash with a prong color or sinch collar .
This is a little dog. He is under eight pounds. I will not be taking him outside on a leash until he can tolerate it without going berserk. He is currently at a rescue and much about his former life is simply unknown. I have a harness that fits like a vest. I will have that put on him when I go to pick him up. I have a soft sided carrier to transport him. Apparently, he is crate trained. He will use a piddle pad, so I don't need to take him outside to do his business until he is trained. My plan of attack is to show him the leash and have him sniff it and then maybe snap it on the harness and let him drag it around the house for a while every day and then go from there. I do know he likes treats. Anything else?

My plan of attack is to show him the leash and have him sniff it and then maybe snap it on the harness and let him drag it around the house for a while every day and then go from there. I do know he likes treats. Anything else?
If he will sniff the leash, you could try things like sitting it beside his food dish when you feed him a meal, or sit it beside his crate when he is inside. That might be an early step, before you attach the leash to him. A leash that "chases" him (dragging it around) could be more scary than a leash that just sits still on the floor.

If he is too scared to even sniff the leash, you would have to do things differently (you don't want him to think the leash will get him while he's trying to eat his dinner.)

You might see if he reacts differently to a different leash: maybe leather vs. rope vs. nylon leash could be enough different for him to think it is a new thing, rather than the same scary one.

This is a little dog. He is under eight pounds. I will not be taking him outside on a leash until he can tolerate it without going berserk. He is currently at a rescue and much about his former life is simply unknown. I have a harness that fits like a vest. I will have that put on him when I go to pick him up. I have a soft sided carrier to transport him. Apparently, he is crate trained. He will use a piddle pad, so I don't need to take him outside to do his business until he is trained. My plan of attack is to show him the leash and have him sniff it and then maybe snap it on the harness and let him drag it around the house for a while every day and then go from there. I do know he likes treats. Anything else?
I would start even smaller then that even! First step would be to show him the leash reward and reward him, keep the leash at a distance from him where he is aware of it but not showing any major signs of stress. If at any point in training he does show any major signs stop the session and next time go back to an easier step

Keep the sessions short 2minutes about or less but do multiple a day, food rewards will be the easiest. Its best to have something small and fast for them to eat, most of the time people use something high value but you can "force" some dogs into something they aren't comfortable enough in doing with food so you do need to watch him closely

Break down the steps a small as possible and remember to go at his speed!

1. If he is extremely scared of leashes you can start with simple picking it up and scattering food on the floor at a comfortable distance for him, if you do this randomly throughout the day he will learn that you picking up the leash is a cue for good things. If he doesn't react to you picking up the leash thats good!

2. You can work on rewarding him for any interest in the leash you are holding. Sit somewhere and if he even looks at the leash mark and reward, some dogs love having the treat thrown for them so it might help to throw the treat away from you every time or you can do it every few treats to give him a small break

3. Next you can work on dragging the leash on the floor at a distance away from him where he is comfortable. Start with a very small movement and reward frequently. Don't move it towards him

4. You will probably need to work on the clip noise as well! Same as most of it, keep it at a safe distance make the noise as quietly as you can at first and reward him for every time

5. Then work on it coming towards him you might want some way he can opt in or out. Having a choice helps animals a lot with this type of thing! What you will want to do is have something either like a chin rest or just standing on a mat could work, you want to heavily reward that position and build a good reward history. Once you have done that (it will take a few days) to use it, its very simple If he is in whatever position you choose you move the leash towards him. Go slowly and reward frequently for it coming closer, if he moves out of the position then stop what you are doing and let him decide if he wants to come back

6. Once you can get the leash on him start with very short heavily rewarded sessions with it on him. And slowly build it up

I would start even smaller then that even! First step would be to show him the leash reward and reward him, keep the leash at a distance from him where he is aware of it but not showing any major signs of stress. If at any point in training he does show any major signs stop the session and next time go back to an easier step

Keep the sessions short 2minutes about or less but do multiple a day, food rewards will be the easiest. Its best to have something small and fast for them to eat, most of the time people use something high value but you can "force" some dogs into something they aren't comfortable enough in doing with food so you do need to watch him closely

Break down the steps a small as possible and remember to go at his speed!

1. If he is extremely scared of leashes you can start with simple picking it up and scattering food on the floor at a comfortable distance for him, if you do this randomly throughout the day he will learn that you picking up the leash is a cue for good things. If he doesn't react to you picking up the leash thats good!

2. You can work on rewarding him for any interest in the leash you are holding. Sit somewhere and if he even looks at the leash mark and reward, some dogs love having the treat thrown for them so it might help to throw the treat away from you every time or you can do it every few treats to give him a small break

3. Next you can work on dragging the leash on the floor at a distance away from him where he is comfortable. Start with a very small movement and reward frequently. Don't move it towards him

4. You will probably need to work on the clip noise as well! Same as most of it, keep it at a safe distance make the noise as quietly as you can at first and reward him for every time

5. Then work on it coming towards him you might want some way he can opt in or out. Having a choice helps animals a lot with this type of thing! What you will want to do is have something either like a chin rest or just standing on a mat could work, you want to heavily reward that position and build a good reward history. Once you have done that (it will take a few days) to use it, its very simple If he is in whatever position you choose you move the leash towards him. Go slowly and reward frequently for it coming closer, if he moves out of the position then stop what you are doing and let him decide if he wants to come back

6. Once you can get the leash on him start with very short heavily rewarded sessions with it on him. And slowly build it up
Those are very good suggestions. At this point I don't know if he is afraid of the leash itself or of just being leashed. I will have to ask the foster for more details.

Back
Top Bottom