Donkey-washing, Martha Stewart style

Buff Hooligans

Scrambled
12 Years
Jun 11, 2007
I saw this on her daily blog on her website. It has photos but they wouldn't transfer to this thread. I thought, only Martha Stewart would have a donkey-washing spa in her barn!

Bath Time For Donkeys!
Yesterday happened to be donkey-washing day at the farm. Betsy likes to give the three donkeys their showers every month during the cold season. When it turns warm and the ground thaws, she increases that to once a week, as the playful trio finds great pleasure in rolling on the ground, getting themselves quite dusty and muddy.

Here is 2-year-old Clive getting hosed down with warm water. The shower stall has heaters suspended from the ceiling. The hanging boom sprayer swivels around for ease of use. The faucets are recessed behind the white door for safety purposes and the lower walls are padded to protect the equines and also the shower tiles.

Sanu Sherpa gives Clive a good lathering.

After a complete rinsing, an equine sweat scraper, or comb, is used to remove excess water.

This is a vacuum called an Electro-Groom. Betsy says its design has remained the same for decades. I just love its retro style. It’s used to vacuum equine coats, but it also serves as a drying mechanism.

Here is Sanu blow drying Clive while Rufus and Billy await their turns.

Ramon leans over to give Billy a friendly hello.

Errr....pretty much every show barn I've ever been to has a similar set-up. You really can't do much with clipped horses in the colder months unless you have an indoor wash area with hot water and a quick way to dry the horses.

When I move and can finally build my own barn, a good grooming and wash stall is non-negotiable. Right now I have to do the redneck thing and wash the horses outside with a garden hose, and I hate it.

Is there any thing Martha wont do LOL

I saw her on good Day - talking about eggs and all the different sizes them come in - she told Matt that she has 160 chickens and gets 90 dozens eggs a week - that's alot of chicken poop
tongue.png

my DH does not like Martha - dont know why ??

Julie

LusMyNSH, a show barn ought to have that equipment. I was just about to answer you that hers isn't a show barn, and these donkeys are just pets, but then I remembered that it IS Martha we're talking about. Of course, everything she owns is for show, for some sort of use in her magazine, books and tv program. Silly me.

It's really nice to wash a horse in a shower stall. The place I took riding lessons in PA had 2. Just having hot water is really nice.

I look forward to one day having a place for my horses to go swimming.
smile.png

Quote:
I must be a redneck!
lau.gif

That made me chuckle....I had the same thoughts when I made a big job transition and went from show groom to the racetrack...the only real indoor washracks are in the test barn so you have to win a race or get pulled for a random to get to use them
lau.gif

Quote:
Martha also has some very nice Friesians, that she keeps in tip-top shape. So it really is sort of a private show barn.

If you can afford to have what you want, why not?

Back
Top Bottom