Don't Get Attached To Them

Well, my boys got a reprieve, as when I went out back to start making preparations to get them squared away, I slipped on the ice, landed with my back over one of the wall bases of my new coop, and broke three of my ribs. The chickens were terrified by my fall. Between the suddenness and noise of my impact and my (basically) screams while lying on the ground...they all started with their panic call. I was kind of surprised by all that. They really seemed to understand I was seriously injured .Crawling up the hill and back into the house was not fun.

I texted the guy who was buying them, and I'm sure he probably thought it was a good story...but he said sorry, he can't wait...so the deal is off and I will continue to have 3 roosters for the forseeable future.

They spent the night with both the door to their coop AND their run open. I was worried, but very little I could do at the time. Managed to get to the truck and got to the doctor the next day. Got some good drugs and proceeded to sleep finally.

For the love of Jesus, be careful in this Winter storm. Let me tell you, hobbling back out on that ice to make sure they have enough food and water (and close their run), and put a tarp over their run to prevent snow drifts from getting in was pretty harrowing. Thankfully, I can see them from my back window so I can see if they are doing okay.

Again, be careful.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear you were hurt! Isn't there a neighbor kid or somebody who could lend a hand?

The guy who was buying your birds and heard about your accident WITHOUT asking if there was any way he could help doesn't deserve your birds! Good riddance to him!

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear you were hurt! Isn't there a neighbor kid or somebody who could lend a hand?

The guy who was buying your birds and heard about your accident WITHOUT asking if there was any way he could help doesn't deserve your birds! Good riddance to him!
Naw, don't blame him. He was already going to drive a hundred miles to buy two roosters. I can't blame him.

And honestly, I can't believe no neighbors heard my caterwauling. I think for about ten minutes the only two words I knew were "OH GOD"...

I am not a guy who likes medications at all, but I must admit these loritabs and muscle relaxers are pretty pleasant.

You have a good doc who knew you'd be hurting!

I'm very sorry none of your neighbors helped you. I'm sure my neighbors would help me if they heard me... But yeah, I think I'm bringing my phone with me when I go out to my snowy, icy yard.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been hurt.

I think I'm bringing my phone with me when I go out to my snowy, icy yard.

Always! You never know when you could have an accident.

I had a fall in the chicken coop this autumn for no reason whatsoever except that I lost my balance stepping over the inner fence. I hurt my shoulder and if I'd been 6" over there'd have been broken ribs and possibly a broken wrist too.

DH didn't hear me calling because he had headphones on and though I was just taking longer than usual because I was petting the chickens or looking at the stars.

Back
Top Bottom