Don't Get Attached To Them

Well, for egg production roos aren't necessary to keep alive so if they got to someone that is bad, they may not have to live with it for more then a few days, but egg production hens are wanted alive instead of meat. So if their sold to a bad owner, that means they spend sometimes years with that bad owner. So I kinda understand you. We don't sell egg layers to people we believe to be bad owners.
yeah that's my logic pretty much

Yeah, I curse the hatchery who screwed up my order.
I got my first 6 chicks from TSC. Three were supposed to be Barred Rock pullets.... NOT, all three were cockerels. Wish I had known then how to spot the difference. Then I got 3 from the 'Black Asian' bin... nope, not a single one... One BSL cockerel, one Cockoo Marans cockerel and one BSL pullet. So I had to get rid of 3 of the bad boys to start with.. and that was after they reached 16 weeks or so.. After 23 weeks the BSL cockerel had to go.. He was just plain mean. So I ended up with two cockerels, 4 hens I purchased from a local fella, and my Cockoo/BSL pair. then I started incubating about the time I got 9 more chicks of various breeds. I'm going to sell a few pairs come spring and keep what I want.. Too many is just too many for me.

Ugh. The day has finally come. I'm waiting for someone to come over and buy two of my three roos. One of them, I couldn't care less about...never made a real bond. But the other was my favorite sweet little cockerel. He was always on my lap, and loved getting petted. He's just not my best grown up rooster, and I have to do what's best for the flock. Unfortunately, I let him become a pet, and now I'm gonna pay for that.
I'm in the same boat. I bought 15 females from a hatchery and two of them were roosters. ( I had six hens prior to that that were getting up there in age. ) They're absolutely stunning buff brahmas. Big boys. They are very friendly towards people however they are starting to compete with each other. I have 20 girls in total and one rooster is claiming 14 young girls for himself, and he's leaving the second rooster to the six 7 year old hens that never had a rooster around. The girls are just miserable where they won't come off the roof bar to eat or drink. in the morning I have to go out and separate the roosters so they're not near the old girls.

It really breaks my heart that I have to find at least one of them a home. I don't want him to go in the freezer, but once I give him away fate takes over. Because I raise them all as day old chicks I've become attached to them. Yes, I even named them. So I feel for your situation. I'm at that point too and I just don't know what to do about it. I've never had this problem before.

I had all my pullets DNA tested at I think 5 weeks old to make sure I only had girls. It was $130 but I did it for my peace of mind because I too get attached very easy. Had a plan ready to go if any came back boys to find them a great home ASAP. I'm in a urban setting and no roosters allowed.

I had all my pullets DNA tested at I think 5 weeks old to make sure I only had girls. It was $130 but I did it for my peace of mind because I too get attached very easy. Had a plan ready to go if any came back boys to find them a great home ASAP. I'm in a urban setting and no roosters allowed.
That sounds interesting to DNA test, where do you go to do that?

Back
Top Bottom