Don't get me wrong, I Love my silkies BUT

Quote:
Oh wow, I never thought of stairs! That might actually work and I have bricks, I think I'm going to do that today, I put slats on the ramp but they have an aversion to it, maybe cause it's pink and purple??
tongue2.gif

So far they haven't gone near the bricks....I do believe I will be picking them all up Again tonight
th.gif

Last edited:
We just finished the outdoor run so they've been locked in for quite a few weeks til now. They def can come out in the morning on their own into the run but at night they pile up on the floor of the run and don't go it. All week I've been picking them up, it does tend to get old!

Quote:
Isn't it a pain? Ive been doing it for a couple weeks now and it is getting old, I can't figure out why they won't go in on their own, their hutch is so low to the ground for that purpose, I knew silkies didn't like doing ramps but this is ridiculous

Quote:
Isn't it a pain? Ive been doing it for a couple weeks now and it is getting old, I can't figure out why they won't go in on their own, their hutch is so low to the ground for that purpose, I knew silkies didn't like doing ramps but this is ridiculous

i dont have silkies but my 10wk old red sexlinks do the same thing..i have 20 of them and i can garuntee to be picking up atleast 7 of the to put in the coop at night the other 13 go right in and roost well not on their roost i put up but instead on the gate i have a cross the building that kept them in there when they were smaller...

Cryssie

How are their crests? Can you see their eyes when looking at them?
If you cannot see their eyes then they cannot see due to oversize of their crest and require a feather trim around the eye area. This makes a big difference on how they move about and their ability to find food.

Ofcourse it still took my goof balls months to figure the ramp out.

I used to let my silkies stay out until last week when I found 2 of my chicks gone. They were 2 months old. Now for some reason they are going in the coop by themselfs. It will take them time but they will get it.

You could try and not feed or water them until night and maybe they would go in for food.

Just be sure that the area they choose to sleep in can't flood at all.. We lost one baby and nearly a second because they wouldn't move 5-6 inches to the right or follow their flockmates into the coop. Instead they stayed at the lowest point of the run and apparently drowned. Thankfully Stormy (then Smokey) survived.

Neither had crests that impaired vision and until then had always seemed to follow the rest of the girls in whatever they were doing (the black one that died was even showing a dominant streak towards the larger ameraucana and SLWs.)

Actually yesterday I did trim the one hens crest, she is the "slowest" acting, she does nothing all day, so I thought maybe she was having issues seeing cause her crest was So full, but I have trimmed it before and she is still a little bump on a log, so I guess it is her personality, or lack of....the others I think can see fine, at least they peck around all day and seem happy. So now they have a brick stair and a ramp and last night there they were, huddled in the run after dark, Ugh

Back
Top Bottom