dont have incubator thermometer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Birdman18, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Birdman18

Birdman18 Songster

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Would a meat or kitchen thermometer be fine for incubators?

2. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    nope I wouldnt use one (I tried it with a regular thermo- the fluctuations were to great) I think it will stress you out.

3. Birdman18

Birdman18 Songster

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    what should i do i cant go to the store right now, i thought any thermometer would work?

4. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    you could try to order a thermometer online....

5. Birdman18

Birdman18 Songster

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Quote:yeah but by the time it comes, i cant wait any longer the eggs will drop fertility. I think i might have a thermometer when you get sick hopefully i'll find it.

6. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I think an old fashioned mercury type works better. but if you have nothing else use it. I would make a "fake" egg I took a small rubbermaid bowl with a lid, poked the meat thermo in filled it with water and used that to tell the temp with. There were less fluqtuations in temps. the prob with the meat thermo is its really sensitive to the temp changes.... so the fan goes on the temp drops, the light comes on the temp jumps, even thought the temps on the eggs might not have changed (much if at all) when I said that it would stress you out that was what I was meaning.... and its EXTREMELY difficult to get the temp JUST right with a meat thermometer. becasue its so sensitive. if you have nothing else its better than nothing. but be aware that the temps are gonna be all over the place. and you might not have that good of a hatch! but who knows maybe your gonna have the best hatch EVER!!!

Good luck!!!

7. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    any kind is better than none...

I think AK button momma has some great advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: