Don't know how to work an incubator.

RoosterRehab97

Songster
10 Years
Feb 13, 2009
Prince William County, VA
I have a incubator that I bought at a poultry auction, but I don't know how to use it. Its made of Styrofoam, and........OK, I just brought it in from the garage. Its a Little Giant Still Air incubator, and I've got no idea how to work it. It looks whole, but I don't know. Any Help Please?

Plug it in, and turn the little black dial until the red light comes on. Turn it the other way and it goes off. Monitor and adjust it for 24 hours until the internal temps are stead at 101 (if its still air.)

If it an LG my only suggestion would be to pray, ( sorry not a fan of the LG ) .

AL

If it an LG my only suggestion would be to pray, ( sorry not a fan of the LG ) .

Hear hear...seems like we have an awful lot of post about incubation problems/trevails when styrofoam incubators are involved...​

Quote:
LOL! Praying is necessary with an LG.... however, I've been an advocate for learning to incubate in an LG for a long time. Anyone who can learn to incubate and produce good hatch rates in an LG, will be an automatic master with anything else. Kinda like learning to drive a stick shift, if you can drive that, you can drive anything.

Quote:
Hear hear...seems like we have an awful lot of post about incubation problems/trevails when styrofoam incubators are involved...

The whole thing is it is common knowledge that these made in China Incubators have killed more dreams and hatches than should be allowed by law, and the info stored on the con's of this product could fill a dumpster. But folks continue to buy them, have a bunch of problems and think it's their hatching skills instead of the equipment. But then again the voice of the 2 people who do like them seems to be enough to sell thousands of these clunkers. Hey that could be a stimulus program ( Cash for LG's ) LOL. Really I just hate seeing post that have people freaking out time after time and they all have LG's.
old.gif

AL

I have an LG, it's fiddly, but I have fun with it. I've had pretty good hatches too, but only if I keep a pretty close eye on it. I'd certainly recommend a better model, but I got this for free and have been tweaking it. Adding a fan and an emergency thermostat (shuts off at 103, then will cycle, holding eggs at about 95 degrees until I rescue them) have helped. My hatch rates are 90% on local eggs 40-60% on shipped eggs.

I have a LG and I really don't have any complaints. I would suggest getting a fan. I noticed that the eggs that were in the center of the bator (under the heating element) hatched first and more quickly than the ones on the outside of it.

It kept temp really well as well as humidity.

It's a good bator for a beginner like myself.

Quote:
LOL! Praying is necessary with an LG.... however, I've been an advocate for learning to incubate in an LG for a long time. Anyone who can learn to incubate and produce good hatch rates in an LG, will be an automatic master with anything else. Kinda like learning to drive a stick shift, if you can drive that, you can drive anything.

Well said and your right !!!!!!!!!!!!!

AL

Back
Top Bottom