Don't know how to work an incubator.

Quote:
Still-air incubators I believe are ran at 102F at the top of the eggs.

Temperature and humidity are the two most important factors in egg incubation (along with fresh, fertile eggs).

The LG's are supposedly known for a very sensitive/finicky thermostat adjustment knob. Something you might want to do to begin with is find a large (1" or so) diameter knob to attach to the thermostat knob. You could even use a keyhole saw or something and cut a disc of plastic or something. This will give you *much* more precision in turning the knob thus giving you more control of the temperature.

Also, be sure to place the LG in an environment/room that has very stable temperature. A wide swing in room temperature will cause the LG to have temperature swings inside of it.

Most folks say to pitch the little thermometer that comes with the incubator. You need something more precise. Lot's of folks use a home digital thermometer but even these need to be compared against a known accurate thermometer such as a medical thermometer (the kind you take your temperature with). Those home digital thermometers usually have a humidity gauge on them, too, though these also need to be checked....search this website on "how to calibrate a hygrometer".

Do a web search for "how to incubate chicken eggs" and you should find plenty of info of the basics of incubation. BYC is a treasure trove in itself, here is a link on BYC to an excellent article that will get you started... " BYC: How To..." .

Best wishes,
Ed

Last edited:
I hatched my eggs at 101 and for the first 18 days 50% humidity. For days 18 through 21 65% to 70%.

Honestly don't be scared to use your LG. I had an AWESOME hatch and it was my first time incubating. All of my chicks were fully developed (8 eggs) though only 6 hatched the other 2 had died because of complications with the chicks. One was breech and the other one busted it's yolk sac.

You can do it if I can.

There is no sense buying a more expensive incubator when there is tons of information on how to have a successful hatch with a LG.

Good luck. I know you can do it
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom