Don't know if its already too late, but please help!

gallopingfrog

Songster
8 Years
Oct 31, 2011
Arizona
This morning I walked into our turkey room and in the brooder, I had two poults lying funny. One was laying straight out and twitching and the other was laying sort of stretched. The one that wasn't straight out I got to stand and walk around, and now you can't even tell there is anything wrong. The other one however, I picked up and he just remained straight, twitching, and eyes barely open. It's clear he's dying.

They all seemed healthy and happy, eating, drinking, playing, etc. yesterday. All I can figure is that they knocked one of their water canteens over in the night (it didn't spill, just tipped over), and it landed on him. But does it sound like there are any illness I should worry about? Everyone else seems just fine, all eating and drinking as I type.

I've separated the two that are acting odd. The one who is more alert is having trouble standing up. He falls to his side and then kicks his feet a lot when he's trying to get up.

Okay, update. Both are about the same. I was checking them over and I dug through some of their poop (with a glove) and it seems to be kind jelly like and has small traces of blood. I'm thinking coccidious, which I have corid to treat. I just didn't think coccidious caused respiratory type problems (seem to be gasping) or leg problems (the more active one can't stand and falls back on his hocks). Everyone else seems just fine, no problems, which also makes me sorta doubt coccidious.

I did realize that when they knocked over the one watered it DID spill. Right under their heat lamp, which made it so humid that the chick stick I had for them fell off the plastic holder, and the heat lamp dried up the water. I don't know if that information will spark an idea.

Please, can someone help me out?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom