don't know, need help SOS

mikesbigroo

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Altamont
well thanks for looking, this part of raising chickens is new to me, well i have a sebright hen and roo in the same coop, and away from my other chickens as they seemed to be aggressive with others. The hen has been sitting on eggs as she has done before, well BINGO,, a new chick, never figured her sitting an hatching, my first time and hers as well, would i be better off moving the chick, wait to see if the other eggs hatch, don't know what we should do i don't want them hurt seeing that the parents were aggressive with other chickens, or is this different being hatched in the same coop . i need some help from you exp. people the roo is still in there as well,, thanks for any help
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Wait to see if the others hatch. If you don't get more in a day or so candle the eggs to see if they are still viable. If the eggs are good give them more time, bad just toss them. As long as there's enough room the chicks should be fine with mom, she'll tell the roo to back off from her babies. That being said if the roo is overly aggresive and you see him actually trying to hurt them I'd just move him out and leave mamma hen and her chicks where they are.

they seem to be doing well, still 5 eggs in the box, the chics are out and moving about along side mama, but the box the eggs are in is to high for the chicks to get back in with mama if she is still sitting,, all new 2 me, was wondering if i should move the eggs or put the chics back in there
Quote:
Wait to see if the others hatch. If you don't get more in a day or so candle the eggs to see if they are still viable. If the eggs are good give them more time, bad just toss them. As long as there's enough room the chicks should be fine with mom, she'll tell the roo to back off from her babies. That being said if the roo is overly aggresive and you see him actually trying to hurt them I'd just move him out and leave mamma hen and her chicks where they are.

Back
Top Bottom