1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Don't know what I'm doing yet

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicken moma, Jan 11, 2015.

1. chicken moma

chicken moma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2015
    Hawaii
    Good to know there are other folk new to this. My story, Short version: I moved into a house and discovered feral chicken. Speckled mamma with 8 chicks. (Rooster would stop by but not hang around) she was a good mamma and raised all 8, now I still have 5 of her chicks, 2 rosters and 3 black hens and the mamma. We are not rural but not city either, many people don't like the chickens. I am finding it fascinating watching their behaviors. The chicks are now about,15 months old; 6 months ago the smallest of the hens, (baby girl) was about the size of a pidgin, had what looked like, her tongue exploding out from her beak, she came up to me to fix it?(these are wild chickens) I gave her yogurt and or vinegar, dipped very small pieces of whole grain bread and watched her try to eat. I thought she was going to die, there was foamy white stuff and she couldn't open or pick up things with her beak. She was much smaller than the others and was hungry she wanted to eat but couldn't so I fed her anything small I could find even ground meats and to my surprise she survived and is now laying eggs. She was on the bottom of the pecking order and used me for protection, I had to wean her back to foraging. In November my 2 roosters, went MIA.?they are wild so I thought they moved on to new hens. Christmas day I heard a familiar sound and look out. 'Freckles" was back. he was limping, and I noticed he had a 12" cord tied to his R leg. I went out, gave him a piece of bread and picked him up! the cord was so tight it was embedding in his leg. I got my son to help and we cut the cord off. He had been tethered somewhere and something had chewed through the cordage about 12 inches away from his leg and he had made his escape dragging the rope with him. I massaged his leg and let him go. I thought he would run off but he ruffled his feathers and hung out. it took about a week for his limp to go away and now he seems fine. He seems to be the secondary rooster his brother 'Big Boy' who returned the same day? I think Big boy stayed close, when Freckles got caught and they both came home together? Both Roosters call the hens to come eat, if they get food they both give the hens their food from their beaks, they scratch and coo and find egg laying places for the hens, and for some reason, they like to face into the corner of my front porch and hunker down. The hens have started laying in a box on the porch yeah! (we have found an egg in the cab of the truck?) and every time I hear a noise, there is another egg and they all share? is this normal chicken behavior? The roosters are not the big problem the hens make soo much noise! and they are mean to each other, definable pecking order. I have 7 eggs in the box outside and a dozen in the fridge ;) this is very interesting.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Wow, what an interesting introduction! I am so glad you were able to find and save your two roosters that went MIA!! That is awful that one had a cord tied around his leg!! Humans can be so cruel!! But I am glad he survived.

Good luck with your flock! If you have any questions or run into any issues with your birds, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    They have names, obviously you are their protector, so it seems they are no longer feral chickens. I would consider getting them a small chicken house and even if you don't get a fence to keep them in, if you get a house for them they will come home every night and stay safer.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]e're glad to have you.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That is a very interesting introduction. If only your roosters could talk. I think someone grabbed your rooster and since he had him on a cord, he wasn't planning to use him for good purposes. Your other rooster was lucky that he wasn't captured. I'm glad they both got back home to you. It sounds like both your boys know how to treat their hens. I think it would be a good idea to lock up all your birds at night to keep them safe from four legged and two legged predators (humans) who might want to take them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by