Don't know when to put my chicks in the adlut coop?

bubblesegg

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Caifornia
Ok i have these five week old chicks and i really do not knoow when they can go in the adult coop. They are Black Jersey Giants and they are so cute:p so if you have an a idea pleeease tell me cause my mom does not want to smell chicken poo:

Are you talking about putting your new chicks with your adults? Or do you have another coop for the babies? If you have a separate coop for the babies and the temperature is warm during the day, then they can certainly spend their days outside. I live in Central Florida, and my 3 1/2 week old babies stay outside from 10am to 5pm (as long as it's warm out!). If you are talking about putting your new babies with your adults, then that's a bit trickier as the adults will likely peck the babies. Let me know:)

mine are about 3 1/2 weeks and I'm smelling burnt feathers so I'd REALLY like to get them out in the baby coop. But, I'm in northeast PA and its still chilly here. Been in the 60s during the day, 40s at night. I don't have electrical in the coop - they are in the brooder box in the garage right now.

So I'm wondering......what temp is ok for them to be out??

Well i do have a mean female in the coop right now. but there is two hen boxes but it's summer write now.
wink.png

If they are not fully feathered yet, then I don't put mine outside until it's in the 70's during the day. Bubblesegg, I don't know what you mean by two henboxes. One coop and two henboxes? Henboxes for laying eggs? Have you tried introducing the babies to the adults? In general, almost ALL the hens will not be friendly towards the babies, not just the mean one. I will either fence off a part of the coop for the babies when I move them outside or if I'm only adding a few chicks, will place an old metal dog crate with grated bottom into the coop so that the adults can get used to the babies. Will let them all out together to free range in the evenings and return the babies to the crate at nightfall. If its summer there now and warm at night, then they can certainly go outside. I think it seems to be more of how you're going to introduce them to your adults.

Well hen boxes are for laying eggs in they well only 3 are mean but some do not even think they are there but my wyiondot likes them. but we might let them out in the coop in about 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom