Don't laugh! Do my chickens need shade?

crazy4eggsJulie

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 15, 2009
Okay guys,
We are still very new to the whole chicken thing. My husband built a great fence for our chickens. For a couple of months, they have gone in and out of the coop into the fence area as they pleased. But I am trying to transition new chicks in with them! (not going so well) So, I send the bigger kids (3 months) out to play in the fenced area all day and let the 5 week olds have the run of the coop during the day. (Normally they have to stay in a small brooder area separated by chicken wire from the big ones but they are outgrowing it SUPER fast. There is no room for them to run around.)

We live in TX and temps are getting close to 100 around here. They seem fine, but the last 2 people I've talked to have mentioned things like "misting "theirs or moving them into the shade, etc. Our fenced in area has no shade...do I need to put a tarp up at one end or will they be fine? They don't lay yet and won't this summer probably...but one person even mentioned that she would not have a hen lay in this heat. (I'm wondering how you even keep her from laying?)

How hot is too hot?

Here is a tip that I use and it works GREAT! I have an chicken automatic water fountian and cooloing watering system! This is so easy and I will never have to lug another hose to the coop and clean out the nasty chicken waters with alge! Please try this soon!

You will only need 5 things......

1) a garden hose (you maybe have one)
2) a timer (get at the garden center)
3) a "bubbler waterer sprinkler" (round ring kind by the water hoses)
4) a cinder or concrete block (lots of styles and sizes)
5) a hot water pan (this is a shallow round pan that fits under your hot water heater and you can get in metal or plastic. Its 2 inches deep and 3 feet in circumfrence.

Put the soaker/bubbler on top of the cinder/concrete block screw in the hose. (you may want to add wire to keep it from falling off) Place the hot water pan under the bottom and turn on the hose.

Its that easy. My chickens are the coolest chicks in town!
I let the pan overflow for a few minutes so the chickens can cool thier feet. I am adding some old bath tiles around the base so they will be even cooler on their feet
Quote:

Absolutely they need shade. They can die in the direct sun for any legnth of time. Mine have part shade in their run, and they all huddle in the shade, if they arent in their coop, until the late afternoon when the shade covers the whole run.

Shade shade shade...and lots of it.

I've had roosters and hens die from 90 degree weather because of some reason they couldn't get to the shade or water.. They need both just like everything else.
wink.png

As for her not having them lay she probably meant they "Won't" lay in this type of weather, a lot of hens will stop laying in this type of weather especially if they are fat..

Uh oh!
sad.png
Better get to the store and get a tarp ASAP! I've had them out there all day for about a week now!

So thankful for all you guys!

They should definitely have some shade, especially if you get 100 degree heat. I guess they can go in the coop for some but unless its VERY WELL VENTILATED , it could be even hotter in the coop. I would put a tarp up over some of the run. I dont know of any animal that doesnt want to get out of the sun. Some chickens dont lay well in the heat so keep that in mind when buying chicks as some do better in the heat. I have a stand up mister that hooks to the hose that my chickens have in their run... but my run has lots of shade too. They definitely find the coolest spots in the heat of the day to hang out in. Another thing you can do is soak the ground in part of their run or all of it. Mine love to dig a hole in the wet dirt and lay their to cool off. It's 105 today and even with all the shade, mine are panting some.

I would make some plans to have a sprinkler on a timer to wet part of the run , maybe in the early morning before the chickens come out and put up a tarp on a portion of it.

Good luck!

My flock free ranges and spends 90% of their time in the shade. They run from shady spot to shady spot, never stopping in the sun, because they think if they did, they would burst into flames.
tongue.png
We have clouds and thunderstorms today, so they are out in the open. They handle our heat just fine, as long as they can find shade. Ours slow down their laying when we have a drastic increase in temperature, but seem to get back to work after a few days. A cool down seems to jump start production, too.
wink.png

MAF2008 Great idea...is this kinda the same?

At lowes they have bird bath waterers....they hook up to a sprinkler system that is so easy and awesome....I was thinking of using a old ceramic glazed dish...cutting a hole in the bottom and putting the waterer hose through then use silacone to seal it...when I water my garden it will fill up the outside bowl...and if it over flows so what....what do u think about that one? Oh and they have timers but I like to go out and turn on and off so I can check on my babies!

Last edited:
We're in the same area - Texas, 100's plus (add 15 degrees in the sun). Birds can overheat in their coops' shade. so yes please- add shade to their run. Planting some (bird safe) bushes around the fence of your coop can not only make it look lovely, but also help some of the morning and evening sun heat. Try to create an area of the run where all day long there's shade. It'll stay cooler.

Also provide multiple water stations.

Back
Top Bottom