Don't laugh..... what am I supposed to feed this duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wisher1000, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I have had chickens for decades. I know plenty about the care and feeding of chickens, but I don't have a clue what I am supposed to be feeding this duck my son bought. I have Nutrena All Flock Pellets, feed wheat, game bird mash, and medicated chick starter. I don't think I should give it the medicated starter, but can he eat the other stuff, or will I have to buy something else?

2. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    My Muscovie ducks ate the same layer pellets as my chickens... and whatever else I threw at them.
    I am sure he wont starve! Good luck.

3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

How old is the drake (do you know whether it's male or female)? All flock is appropriate for both [adult] poultry or waterfowl, but if it's a duckling, chick starter supplemented by extra niacin would be more appropriate. There's debate about whether medicated chick starter is ok for ducklings, here's one of the threads - you decide: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/587261/can-ducklings-eat-medicated-chick-starter-feed.

Enjoy your duck raising adventure! [​IMG]

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Thanks to you both. It is an adult East Indie drake. I have no idea how old it is, it was bought at a swap.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

No medicated feed.... Grains and the chicken feed is okay......
    Hmmmm.....
    If you can purchase Duck feeds....Oat and barley crumble..old style scratch with less corn.......romain lettuce, tomatoes and peas.......

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Thank you!

7. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    He only bought one duck? Poor thing :(

8. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Yes, we have tried to find a girl for him, but have had no luck so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by