Don't leave material in the pen for a later cleanup!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SmokinChick, Oct 2, 2011.

1. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I had some fencing leaning up against the run fence. I thought it would be fine till I got around to moving it out.
    Last night, closing the pop door I was one hen short, a nervous Buff Orpington, 4 months old. Looked around and found her stuck in the 2x2 opening. Exhausted and bloody. She had beaten herself to near death.
    Got her into the house with some warm water. No luck. She was scalped and skin was tore from her wings. Not sure if the other hens pecked at her. Doesn't matter. It was my fault.
    So, clean up when you're done. Not later. Sad night, buried her today.

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Im so sorry [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    I am so sorry to hear about your BO. [​IMG] Hugs to you.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    [​IMG]

5. swatchick

swatchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    [​IMG] That's a hard way to learn that lesson -- thanks for the effort to save others from learning that way too...

6. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Isn't it shocking how an otherwise very responsible person can leave ONE thing in the wrong place and the animals will find it and hurt themselves on it?! [​IMG]

I see a lot (and I mean) a lot of pictures on here and just cringe when I notice all the stuff in the background.......or flung all around the pens.....

Sorry you lost your hen!

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    My hens free range around a lot of stuff that could harm them, I'm surprised she got stuck. Chickens aren't the brightest but they aren't THAT dumb. Perhaps one of the other, more dominant hens chased her there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by