Don't let me loose in a feed store at this time of year. (PICS)

StrawberryHouseMouse

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Cleveland, Tennessee
Went today to get some ready-mix for a fence were putting up and saw they have day old chicks inside. Of course that was a mistake. My hubby wanted one RIR hen cause he missed the one we use to have. So we got a RIR pullet then I saw they had some roosters in various breeds. The roosters were all sorts of different chicks mixed together in one area. I got looking and saw all kinds, some turkens, cochins, and others I didnt know what they were. I picked up this one and was like. "Well we are getting this too. So I have a cochin now. I think he is a large sized cochin cause he is the same size as the RIR hen. He has nice foot feathering and look below for photos.

But the moral of the story if there is one.. Is don't take me too a feed store this time of year. Cause I will leave with more then I went for.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I had to ask my DH to get me feed because I can't go in there. And I don't even know if they have any chicks in there but I know it's getting that time of the year. LOL

Ok here is some pics
big_smile.png

I THINK the rooster is a cochin. ... I could be wrong. But he was in a group of chicks that were assorted roosters. So yeah.. I'm guessing here cause of his feathered legs. And even if he is a cochin, I don't know what color variety he is. It's too hard to tell for me right now.

chicks003.jpg

chicks004.jpg

chicks006.jpg

chicks008.jpg

chicks010.jpg

chicks011-1.jpg

Hehe, I know what me mean. I need to run out and get some more chick feed, I have 5- 7wk'rs in my dining room waiting for the coop to be finished.
But I know if I were to go to the store alone, I'd come home with a few more chicks

I blame my hubby. He went alone at first and I stayed in the car. Then he came out and said. "They have chicks in there.... I want a RIR .. I think I'm going to go back and get one.. " And I was like "Oh god help us. " And waited for him in the car still. Then he comes out and shows me the chick and it has a bad eye so I sigh and say "Ok if your getting one then lets go and get a good one. " So I went back in with him and traded it for a good hen that was eating and drinking well. I stood there for a while watching how they all behaved to make sure I picked out a healthy looking one. Then was about to leave and thought. ~hmm it needs a snuggle buddy.. ~ and looked over at the roosters. Saw the turken first, it was oddly adorable, with a little bow tie and all. But my hubby was like "PUT THAT UGLY THING BACK!" lol so I did XD and then picked up the one I saw with feathered legs and got it.

Quote:
You only saw half of it lol. That's acctually a whole room built onto the side of my house.
big_smile.png
there is a little window in our kitchen that you can look through and see inside the brooder room so I can keep a close eye on them. And I do plan on getting more. I have 20 chicks from cackle hatchery that should be here next week.

Back
Top Bottom