Don't like pellets anymore?

RNPAULIE69

Songster
May 27, 2017
I got my girls in June, they were born in April. They have always eaten Poulin pellets. I was at dodge grain recently and picked up a small bag of layer mash..addicted like it's crack! They won't touch pellets now. Should I just keep feeding the mash? It makes an awful mess lol

Most chickens prefer crumbles, but pellets are less waste, so you will have to choose. Many times crumbles and mashes get spooned out of feeders and bowls and it appears they are eating more. Do you keep a separate bowl of oyster shells? Was the brand the same?

What's the protein percentage in the mash? When mine refused to eat layer pellets I switched back to their grower crumbles at 18% protein with oyster shell free choice for calcium and they liked it a lot more.

Mine would rather eat bedding than pellets!
Yeah, my girls would eat pine shavings in the brooder and they kept eating it in the coop.
That's when I switched to compressed straw.
Don't buy crumbles again. Leave the pellets in the feeder and scatter some pellets on the ground with the scratch, to get them interested in the pellets again. GC

They will eat pellets, give them some mash or scratch as treat in the evening, but they will eat pellets

Back
Top Bottom