Don't really want a broody hen ;)

Leannetimm

Chirping
Aug 26, 2016
Hi all,
Our first broody Hen is upon us ! We don't have a cockral or fertalized eggs, so are only interested in the broodiness if its good for the hen ! The problem is the heat. In a pretty high heat wave here in France (late 30°C's) and I'm worried about her not drinking. I've tried removing her from the coop once but she was so not happy about it that I'm not sure I should. I have hens just for the love of them and the eggs, so what to do with a broody hen ?

If you have a metal dog crate put her in it away from the coop (in the house if you're able) in the sunlight with wire on the bottom to keep air flowing underneath her body. She will be extremely upset because all she wants is to get back to her eggs. This should help break her broodyness

I don't know how to get rid of the broodiness, but I had a broody hen hatch 1 baby and she would get off to drink water, so hopefully your lady is doing the same when you're not around. Best of luck.

You can either break her broodiness, or give her a couple fertile eggs to hatch. either way, the sooner you take action with your "treatment plan", the sooner she will be done being broody. Broody hens tend to loose a lot of condition, and the sooner you interrupt the hormonal cycle, the easier it "should be" to break her. You can do the broody cage (wire bottom, no bedding) or you can try the cold water dip. The idea is to decrease the temperature of her chest.

Back
Top Bottom