1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Don't Understand Molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Catalina, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    My hens are almost 2 years old and they have never molted.

There are hardly any feathers in the coop (my grandma wanted me to collect some for her, but [​IMG] -I only every collect 2 or 3 a month).

Am I in for a truly horrible molt in the future?

Or did they molt and I missed it?

What does molting look like?

2. TreeFever

TreeFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    MA
    Molting can be really subtle like a few bare patches around the head (as it usually looks like with my birds) or downright ridiculous, exhibit A being the free range chicken at work who is completely nude and has taken up residence in the barn office for the winter.
    Mine seem to drop feathers often though, not sure about yours 0.o I think they have a real molt about once a year.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, some are not heavy moulters, and will just do it over time. Some will totally drop naked and look terrible. Some don't do "the pin cushion" till after their 2nd year moult. If they are light moulters, it is very possible that the hens see a fallen feather and eat it right up to help grow their new feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by