Don't Understand Why??

anthonyjames

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Port Washington, WI
I have 15 birds and the 15 birds have 7 nest boxes. They all run in straight line. Why is it they only use 2 and they will line up or try to jam themselves in with other birds to lay? And the 2 they use are the 2 on the outer edges

I have no idea but mine act the same way. In the next coop space I am offering two communal boxes only to save space...yeesh
wink.png

Try putting fake eggs in some of the other nesting boxes to make them more appealing. Chickens want to lay where others have laid because it makes their eggs"safer". It also becomes a habit to only use certain nesting boxes.

I have two normal size nestboxes and the I have one double size nestbox for eleven ladies. They are using all of them but just not on the same day. I had read on here that some have had problems with girls climbing ontop of each other trying to get in to lay their egg so I made the double size as to prevent a traffic jam.
big_smile.png

I have 41 hens/chickens of various ages. Only twelve are old enough to lay, they have two large nest boxes, but generally only use one. I have seen three hens in one box, whilst the other is not in use. They also lay on the floor in piles of wood shavings, and occasionally will use the other nest box.

Only they know the logic in this !!!!
hu.gif

Cause those are the BEST two .. It doesnt matter if the others of made of gold, once they have it in their heads thats it...
ETA all 11 of my girls use the same one nest box.. If someone else is in it they will sit on them and lay there egg then hop off.. Its quite a site to see

Last edited:
Because they have a favorite spot where they feel safe and comfartable. Like if you are in a mall their is a Veggie shop on the one side and a Ice Cream shop on the other which will you run to? The one you like best.

well, I have 5 girls, are are laying. I have 4 nestboxes and one 'communal' box that is bigger but not as tall and darker than the other boxes. They only use 2 of the boxes even though I have wooden eggs in an unused box....Go figure....

while we are on nesting box topics,what is everyone using for bedding in the nest boxes and why do you prefer your material over another material?

Back
Top Bottom