Door latch

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by georgem, Jan 21, 2009.

1. georgem

georgem Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    North East Kansas
    I posted this in the Coop and Run Design section before realizing the question should be here.

So, what do you think chicken experts, is the latching mechanism pictured below likely to provide adequate protection from predators? I'm new at this and really would hate to lose any birds.

[​IMG]

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    unless your predators have aposable thumbs you should be good...at least from the latch perspective

3. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Should an orangutan want your chickens though...[​IMG]

4. georgem

georgem Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    North East Kansas
    HaaHaa

Excellent!!! Thank you very much!!!

The only predators in the area that possess truly opposable thumbs are primates of the well-dressed (and sometimes not so well-dressed) variety, most of whom I'm on good terms with.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  5. swampwander

swampwander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Mims, Fl
    We use carbiners and the coons haven't got through those yet, so I think you're good.

6. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    You might want to add a combination lock.

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Unless it's a human predator (some horror stories of stolen chickens running through head here) you'll be fine! We have that WITHOUT the little doodad hanging off. A good rule is: If a toddler can't reach it and open it, you'll be safe from mostly everything.

8. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    there are predators with oposable thumbs there called racoons and they will probaly figure that latch pretty quick if they can get to it

9. Cowboy Joe

Cowboy Joe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Western NY
    We use a similiar set up but with a carbiners instead. The biggest issue we've seen is securing the bottom of the door. Raccoons are strong and agile enough to pry open the bottom and squeeze in if there is too much play. That's experience talking.

Our coop has a double door (like a french door). One door now has inside latches on the top and bottom connected to the framing to keep it in place. The latches allow the door to be opened for cleanout. The 'free' door now has two sets of external latches instead of the original single piece in the middle. A second latch was installed near the bottom. A coon recently tried to get into the coop which is temporarily housing rabbits. He succeeded in pulling off the trim on the bottom of the door (which was screwed & glued in place) but couldn't get in. Learning as we go...

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    That latch system looks good no problem, the spring type hitch pin is really strong, but it still could works it's way into the slot, it will not open but there will be some play or rattling, bad for hinges and the hasp could loosen due to stress. I agree with cowboy I use a double system, a latch on the outside ( like yours ) and I have a wood block that turns ( swings ) from the outside but locks from the inside, so it is easy to use and no critters can figure it out.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by