1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Door to run..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by havi, Apr 15, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I am just starting out with my plans for a chicken coop, oh and Im new to the whole chicken thing anyways..I plan on having a door on the back of the coop to be able to walk into and clean, get eggs, and whatever else. I will have a small door opening on the front for the chickens to get out to the run. What Im wanting to know is..do I need to put a door on the front side(where the run will be) big enough for me to get through? Is there any reason why I would need to be in the run? Such as to clean or anything?

2. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I'm planning on having a door into the run. My human door will be the front door, the chicken door to the run will be in the back, so I need a way to get into the run for whatever reason that may come up.

3. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Well, I built our new coop last year, and haven't put a gate on my run yet...I do find there are times that I do need to get in there...sometimes to get an egg that was laid out there, and sometimes to fill in holes they dig...so yes, I would put either a door from the coop or a door into your run itself, but you will want access:>)

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We have a seperate human door out into our run. It's big enough to fit the wheel barrow through to clean the run.

One advantage to having a human door into the run instead of just a pop hole for the chickens...how else can you get into the run if you have a sick or injured chicken in the run?

A pic of our door before the run was finished...

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Dawn

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You *definitely* need a way to get into the run, whether from the coop or through the run fence.

Even if it's just a 3-4' high run that you can't walk into, you still need some way of getting in if need be. To clean, to retrieve objects, to retrieve a bird, to repair, etcetera.

Pat

6. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    I would really suggest you have a human-sized door to the pen as well. You just never know if you will need to get in there or not. I go in the pen fairly often to change the outdoor waterers, clean, etc. And there is no way my big ol' behind is gonna fit in that hen door! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by