Doris has left her babies.

L1sa

Songster
Jan 25, 2017
South Australia
They're only 5 weeks old and I noticed it today when I went to check on them. That she was chasing them away like all the other hens do :hit poor little loves, it doesn't seem fair for them, but I guess it's only natural.

But then she has been laying again for the past 5 days so I guess it was only a matter of time! However she was still tucked up with them on Friday night. Would she still snuggle with them at night and just ignore them during the day? Or is that it now? I guess I'll have to check on them tonight just to see.

They're only 5 weeks old and I noticed it today when I went to check on them. That she was chasing them away like all the other hens do :hit poor little loves, it doesn't seem fair for them, but I guess it's only natural.

But then she has been laying again for the past 5 days so I guess it was only a matter of time! However she was still tucked up with them on Friday night. Would she still snuggle with them at night and just ignore them during the day? Or is that it now? I guess I'll have to check on them tonight just to see.
Whatever she decides to do, it's perfectly normal. Her instincts out-trump whatever we humans think is the "right" thing. Part of the beauty of having a broody hen is observing their interactions / behaviours, imo :)

It's night and I've just checked on them... and there was something in there that I hadn't expected!

Doris had relented and allowed 3 of them back under her (it is actually quite cold tonight) but, there was one of the chicks snuggled under one of the other hens!!! This other hen had raised chicks herself a few years back. But I wasn't expecting that at all. It was the cutest thing.

Back
Top Bottom