Dorking Ordering Info

goosemama

Songster
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
Forestville, New York
For anyone else interested in finding DORKINGS I have a bit of info to share. Did a lot of searches yesterday trying to find hatcheries or breeders who had day old chicks to sell. Could find no one in my area of Western NY State or any breeders in our area that I could even drive to to pick up adult birds etc..

Sandhill who does carry them did not respond to my e-mail so probably sold out for 2009. Ideal Hatchery in Texas said they are sold out and will not take orders until 20l0. mcMurray Hatchery wrote to say they will begin taking orders the middle of November for the January/February hatching. So sounds like McMurray would be the one to choose for early chicks Was very taken with the White Dorkings but noticed on the breed guidelines that the silver backed both hens and roosters are heavier in weight. I would think they would be the better choice for meat birds? Anyone with experience in Dorkings? Would love to hear from you. I am trying to pare my little flock of 20 various breeds (Easter Eggers, Barred Rock, Delaware & Welsummer) down to eventually just Dorkings and a few Welsummers. I am raising 25 Cornish X chicks for the freezer I just received this week from Meyer Hatchery. I'm hoping if I eventually can have a big enough flock of Dorkings, the roosters can be used for freezer meat birds instead of buying extra.

If you want to get in touch with the Sandhill people I'd suggest calling them. I believe Monday and Thursday afternoons is when Linda is there. They may have a lot of breeds but they're still a small place. Primarily a husband-wife team, with not much time for the internet.

I haven't ordered birds from them, just seeds and sweet potato slips.

-Cindy

We have Dorks so I feel your pain in how hard it can be to track them down. Even harder to obtain a quality breeding pair.
There are a few folks on here that sell eggs, (my wife included if tempuraters in transit look favorable) do a search on here. There have been a few threads started by Dorking lovers and others like yourself trying to obtain some. I can't think of the names off hand but I'm pretty sure they are mostly in the mid west.
You can also look up the Dorking breeders club of America, or the Dorking club on yahoo groups.

Back
Top Bottom