Dorking X Cornish??

Quote:
That's what I figured. I just wanted to ask, if I would get better results since the 30% was only a $1 more.

-Kim

Last edited:
Great to see some interest in Dorkings as a meat bird. I plan on experimenting with all sorts of crosses and strains once mine are ready to breed
smile.png

I thought about crossing the Dorkings with a Cornish-Rock cross, the Cornish and the White Rock (among others) to see if I could get the large body and fast growth. The Dorking x Cornish cross sounds as if it will take a long, long time to dress out. The White Rock and Cornish-Rock are the ones I'm crossing my fingers for.

Let me know how yours turn out if you decide to go that route. If you ever have any extra hatching eggs you're willing to ship out I can probably clear out an incubator for them
smile.png

I won't have anymore Dorking eggs for another 4-5 months. I have three adult hens but my oldest cockerel is only about 3-5 weeks old.

If you were interested in getting some Cornish Dorking eggs, I will let you know when I have some.

I will definately keep you posted on any and all progress if I try this.

I think I may try this later this year, more toward fall. It's just too hot now. I will be sure to keep you posted and take pictures, maybe even record some numbers. LOL. We'll see what time allows.

I will probably be using a Dark Cornish as the sire on my Silver Grey Dorking Hens. I will be eating some of my pure SGD cockerels here in the next few months as I'm sure I have plenty that hatched out. You know how those extra cockerels are.. I am very curious to see how the Dorkings managed to stick around for all those years as a breed and meat bird.. They have to be doing something right, huh?

-Kim

I bought some red laced white cornish cockerels with the plan of crossing them on my standard and heavy breed hens when I want to breed meat birds. Some of the hens I plan on crossing them with are marans, speckled sussex, faverolles, and orpingtons. I think it will work out ok for my family. I am a long ways off from being able to try but it is set in motion. I realize they won't turn out like the commercial ones but will probably be suitable for my family. I'll keep you posted.

On the topic of crossing Cornish to a fibro breed, I have 2 White Laced Red Cornish pullets and 1 cockerel in with my Qaib Hmong birds. I'm hoping to get some decent meat birds out of that cross. Hmongs are tall, lithe birds but VERY muscular even at a young age. I have one little pullet that's 5 months old and over 6 lbs already and still growing.

On the topic of crossing Cornish to a fibro breed, I have 2 White Laced Red Cornish pullets and 1 cockerel in with my Qaib Hmong birds. I'm hoping to get some decent meat birds out of that cross. Hmongs are tall, lithe birds but VERY muscular even at a young age. I have one little pullet that's 5 months old and over 6 lbs already and still growing.
Although I never did this with Cornish, I was making Fibro Meat birds about a year or 2 ago. When using a Fibro male over a non fiber female the females will carry on the Fibro train but the males will not. I did this with an Ayam Cemani male and a Red Ranger Female. In my avatar there is the result of a bird later on down the line, I believe it was 1/4 Ayam Cemani, 1/4 Red Ranger (from the mother)... and his father was a Naked Neck. Meat turned out grey.

Back
Top Bottom